Can't run stadalone

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
sharplad

Can't run stadalone

Post by sharplad »

Hi. I'm trying to use Deluge on Linux Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS. At the very start, Deluge tells me it cannot run the stand-alone version with this error: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS. My python version is 3.10.12 and deluge version is 2.1.1 and I'm on an AMD 5600X processor. I saw a post for an earlier version of Deluge having this problem, and they said it was a compatibility issue with Python 3.8, but that was a long time ago. I tried to make the system point to python 3.7, but just could not do it. Is it still a python compatibility issue? That was from a couple of years ago. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and I install with:

sudo apt-get install deluge

which installs the latests version, but it only works in thin client mode.

Thanks in advance.
mhertz

Re: Can't run stadalone

Post by mhertz »

Yeah as you say, the python deluge issue is old and resolved, atleast on deluge 2.1.1. It's often a libtorrent issue if can start the gtk-ui only in thinclient mode(connecting to other pc). Can be having qbittorrent installed, now or previous, where built different so cannot import libtorrent. You must be using the deluge ppa, since gets deluge 2.1.1 when installing through apt - If you have the qbittorrent PPA file under something like '/etc/apt/sources.d/*qbittorrent*', then delete it, or rename to end in '-off' or alike, and run 'sudo apt update' and remove and reinstall libtorrent-rasterbar, I think called libtorrent-rasterbar2.0 or maybe libtorrent-rasterbar10, can't remember.

Else please post exact error message after starting deluge from a terminal.
sharplad

Post by sharplad »

Thank you for the quick reply.

I tried what you suggested (renamed the suggested file and removed and reinstalled rasterbar2.0) and qbittorrent (which I do have installed) stopped working, but Deluge was still giving me the same error. I reinstalled qbittorrent and tried runnning deluge from the terminal. I don't know if you mean just deluge or deluge-cli (not familiar with this one much). I tried both. With deluge, I got the same error as it opened the GUI. the error is "only Thin Client mode is available due to unknown import error. To use Standalone mode, please see logs for error details."
When I tried deluge-cli in the terminal, it ran with no error, but I have no idea how this one works.
I also checked Qbittorrent and it uses libtorrent 2.0.9.0. I hope I can get this to work without affecting qbittorrent.
sharplad

Post by sharplad »

I also managed to get this error log:

15:41:45 [ERROR ][deluge.ui.gtk3.gtkui :1512] module 'libtorrent' has no attribute 'add_torrent_params_flags_t'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/ui/gtk3/gtkui.py", line 309, in _on_reactor_start
client.start_standalone()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/ui/client.py", line 637, in start_standalone
self._daemon_proxy = DaemonStandaloneProxy(self.__event_handlers)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/ui/client.py", line 458, in __init__
from deluge.core import daemon
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/core/daemon.py", line 19, in <module>
from deluge.core.core import Core
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/core/core.py", line 41, in <module>
from deluge.core.torrentmanager import TorrentManager
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/core/torrentmanager.py", line 53, in <module>
lt.add_torrent_params_flags_t.flag_paused
AttributeError: module 'libtorrent' has no attribute 'add_torrent_params_flags_t'
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I ment to remove qbittorrent PPA and qbittorrent also, if having that, as you. Update apt and remove deluge and it's subcomponents you have, and reinstall them afterwards, so pulls correct libtorrent. Sorry unclear before. Usually they cannot co-exist(deluge and qbittorrent) because use different compiled libtorrent's, incompatible with each-other, but I will look into if can be possible anyway, but will take a while before doing that, but will post back at later time, unless beaten by other helpfull peeps around here :)
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Seems like an issue with the dependency on libtorrent as @mhertz said, and if you follow his instructions I would be surprised if you didn't get it working.

Let us know what the results are :)
sharplad

Post by sharplad »

Thanks for the very helpful answers. I'm a little scared to be honest. I have a lot of torrents in my QB, and they are in different folders. If I delete QB and then install Deluge, Will I not lose all the torrents? I'm seeding by the way, not downloading. I'm mainly doing this to see if I can get a better upload speed with Deluge using the itConfig plugin. I just wanted to test it out. Is it possible to remove QB, install and try deluge, and If I'm not happy go back to QB, preserving all the torrents that are being seeded.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

You'd just need to make sure you had a backup of your config folder for qBittorrent, although I don't think (although I'm not sure of this) that it will delete your configuration if you uninstall.

Best to back it up before hand.

Should be in your homdir - 'cd ~/.config/' - and a folder named qBittorrent.

If you want to run both at the same time, I think the best bet would be docker.
sharplad

Post by sharplad »

I did all that. Removed qbit completely. renamed it in the sources.list.d folder. installed Deluge, did not work. uninstalled rasterbar, and reinstalled it, still did not work. uninstalled Deluge, then rasterbar, then installed Deluge which also installed rasterbar, but still the same unknown import error. The following is the error log:

20:49:35 [ERROR ][deluge.ui.gtk3.gtkui :1512] module 'libtorrent' has no attribute 'add_torrent_params_flags_t'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/ui/gtk3/gtkui.py", line 309, in _on_reactor_start
client.start_standalone()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/ui/client.py", line 637, in start_standalone
self._daemon_proxy = DaemonStandaloneProxy(self.__event_handlers)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/ui/client.py", line 458, in __init__
from deluge.core import daemon
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/core/daemon.py", line 19, in <module>
from deluge.core.core import Core
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/core/core.py", line 41, in <module>
from deluge.core.torrentmanager import TorrentManager
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/deluge/core/torrentmanager.py", line 53, in <module>
lt.add_torrent_params_flags_t.flag_paused
AttributeError: module 'libtorrent' has no attribute 'add_torrent_params_flags_t'
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

If I recall deluge doesn't use rasterbar, but I use docker so dependencies aren't a thing I have to worry about

@mhertz would have a better idea of which package to install, but I'm pretty sure it's not the same as qbittorrent's and installing with the ppa should install the one it needs if you don't have any version of libtorrent installed (including rasterbar)