General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

updating 2.0.3 ?

Post by Menard »

Hello

Is this useful to update ? and why ?

If yes, how to do it by downloading a deb or tar.gz file (Linux) without adding a PPA ?
ambipro

Re: updating 2.0.3 ?

Post by ambipro »

I believe the latest branch has 2.1.1 on the debian repository.

If you want the latest version, add the PPA or use pip.

Major distros have not been keeping up with the latest versions for quite a while. This is not something Deluge can change, this is on the distro's repository maintainer.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

OK, but mind for the moment, on Linux Mint since 2018, I had never to use something else than deb files or tar.gz files to install or update some applications, for example Libre Office, Telegram, Google Chrome, Quickhash etc but I am going to inform me about pip
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

Ca you tell me if I can easily install this Pip version beside the Linux Mint regular repository version so with 2 different user profiles for each one ??
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

That wouldn't be a default setup, and I'm not sure I'd recommend this....what would be the point/goal?
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

I want to install a more recent version and try it for new torrents, but keeping the old one because I don't want to have to transfer all parameters and content ...
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Unless running under different users, e.g. deluge user, and local user(not usually recommended, but as example), then will have to start deluge* with a command-line flag then each time, for seperating configs i.e. '-c <path>', but can make it stick in whatever preffered env, shortcuts for DEs etc, or alias/scripts etc for CLI.

Anyway, if just for quick testing before deciding, then can easily just make a venv with newest deluge like so:

Code: Select all

python3 -m venv --system-site-packages ~/.local/deluge
~/.local/deluge/bin/pip3 install deluge
Hmm, that used to work, but doesn't now, but anyway, other way:

python3 -m venv ~/.local/deluge
~/.local/deluge/bin/pip3 install deluge
sed -i 's/false/true/' .local/deluge/pyvenv.cfg
(First command-lines wouldn't install deluge when deluge already there in other place... Hmm, probably normal in hindsight(using '--system-site-packages' flag), and because I tested other versions of deluge than installed previously apparently(or not having it installed yet, system-wide), sorry. Could also use --force to former, but not really recommended I think, despite not sudo here.

Btw, last, then come to think of it, can just hack the code of venv to new profie location, so e.g. following line will change to use 'deluge2' profile dir, under '.config' of current running user, or can add full path if wanting it hardcoded to something specific and non-user-bound.

sed -i 's|directory = None|directory = ".config/deluge2"|' ~/.local/deluge/lib/python3.11/site-packages/deluge/configmanager.py
basher
Leecher
Leecher

Post by basher »

Menard wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:23 am Ca you tell me if I can easily install this Pip version beside the Linux Mint regular repository version so with 2 different user profiles for each one ??
Bad idea, as both would end up using the same configuration. If you want separated runtime, best run them from within docker containers.

Regarding pip, you'd likely see an error these days; best use pipx instead of pip for programs (as in opposed to libraries).