Mapped Network Drive and Torrent Errors

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
ReiSixx9
New User
New User

Mapped Network Drive and Torrent Errors

Post by ReiSixx9 »

My external hard drive recently broke and I had a bunch of torrents that need to be seeded on it. I can't afford a new hard drive right now so the best thing I could come up with to re-download and seed all the torrents is setting up my spare laptop as a network drive and downloading the files with Deluge on my main laptop but making the download location the spare laptop. However, while the torrents seem to download fine, every once in a while, they'll all just error.

I can't figure out why they just randomly error, I honestly don't know a huge amount about the technical part of torrenting even though I've been doing it for a while. Does anyone have any idea why they are throwing errors or have any advice?

I'm running Deluge 2.1.1 on Windows 10 Pro on my main laptop and Windows 10 Home on the spare laptop. Also, if it matters, the torrents are all media files used with Plex.

Thanks in advance! :D
ambipro

Re: Mapped Network Drive and Torrent Errors

Post by ambipro »

My initial guess is that the network drive mount is disconnecting, probably temporarily, and thus Deluge things the files have been deleted or are unavailable.

It might be better to connect the drive through a USB adapter or something, you can get a SSD or even a HDD and a USB adapter for it for like 50 bucks together if you shop right.

Considering this is temporary, and I'm not sure the space requirements, I think there are definitely better options.

Also, if you're stuck on this, connecting the two laptops with a network/patch cable directly might be your best way for connectivity. If you're using WIFI or something - you're just asking for issues like this.
ReiSixx9
New User
New User

Post by ReiSixx9 »

ambipro wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:46 pm My initial guess is that the network drive mount is disconnecting, probably temporarily, and thus Deluge things the files have been deleted or are unavailable.

It might be better to connect the drive through a USB adapter or something, you can get a SSD or even a HDD and a USB adapter for it for like 50 bucks together if you shop right.

Considering this is temporary, and I'm not sure the space requirements, I think there are definitely better options.

Also, if you're stuck on this, connecting the two laptops with a network/patch cable directly might be your best way for connectivity. If you're using WIFI or something - you're just asking for issues like this.
That's what I was afraid of. I have a USB adapter, but I'm worried about removing the hard drive from the spare laptop and it breaking somehow. Unfortunately, I don't even have $5 to spend right now, let alone $50 so I have to try to make do with what I have.

Honestly the space requirements are the biggest issue. I need at least 2TB, but my main laptop only has 180GB total while the spare laptop has 2TB.

I had looked into physically connecting the computers with a cable or something originally, but then I realized the spare laptop doesn't have a port to plug into.

I think I might be out of luck here. 😅

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by ReiSixx9 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Ethernet USB adapter. Amazon. Probably gonna cost you more than 5$ for a gigabit one though.
ReiSixx9
New User
New User

Post by ReiSixx9 »

ambipro wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:00 pm Ethernet USB adapter. Amazon. Probably gonna cost you more than 5$ for a gigabit one though.
Hmm I'll definitely look into that, thanks!

Also, I would try to set up Deluge on the spare laptop so that the files could just download straight there and cut out the middleman, but I don't think I know how I would transfer the torrents and data and all that so that it would just download them and seed them without issue and get them off my hit list on IPTorrents.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Exit Deluge completely on your current. Install deluge on the other laptop and copy the entire deluge folder in %APPDATA% to the other laptop and overwrite it. Launch deluge on your second laptop.

Profit.
ReiSixx9
New User
New User

Post by ReiSixx9 »

ambipro wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:04 pm Exit Deluge completely on your current. Install deluge on the other laptop and copy the entire deluge folder in %APPDATA% to the other laptop and overwrite it. Launch deluge on your second laptop.

Profit.
Oh so it's just that easy? Haha thank you so much, I'll give it a shot!
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Make sure you have the same version....and if it's still different, different how?