Deluge causing disconnection

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
mhertz

Re: Deluge causing disconnection

Post by mhertz »

ray5450 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:43 am [...]
Apparently, the newest version now, does not open in Windows 7. Oh, well.
[...]
Original idea brought fourth curtezy by Vort and therobin, there's a wine dll with slight updates by third-party, making newest deluge work on win7, here, which you extract and place dll in deluge install dir or '‰windir‰/system32': https://github.com/nalexandru/api-ms-wi ... -0.3.1.zip

Alternatively, little older dll straight from msft also available - I copy/pasted a previously posted snippet of mine:
Source: viewtopic.php?p=235899#p235899

Sadly I'm sorry cannot help with main issue though.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Seems like it's a software issue, although I have no idea how or why anything deluge would do would result in what you're describing...

I think it's a safe bet that you're unconventional setup is playing a role, because we haven't heard of this issue before...I don't really know where to go from here with troubleshooting this with you, to be honest.

If you have an extra hard drive or SSD, try installing windows 10 or even another fresh version of windows 7 and see if it does the same thing, perhaps there's something specific with your setup (NIC or drivers). I have no other thoughts as to why this would happen.

You're going to have to do some drastic stuff to narrow this down, or just bite the bullet and install a newer operating system perhaps.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Wait...there is more to try.... I still need to try the new Deluge using the file mhertz provided. However, I'm not sure I understand mhertz:
"Sadly I'm sorry cannot help with main issue though."
--Does this mean that you know the new version definitely will not solve the problem, ....or, should I try it and find out? Thanks.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

You should definitely try it and find out.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

@ray5450, im not sure if will fix or not, doubt will change anything honestly, but like ambipro stated, I would certantly try if me(and his sound advice about upgrading if not, preferably).

Edit: Also, for testing this then if wanted can just extract deluge installer with 7-zip(if having), add the needed dll, and run deluge.exe from there. If not work still, then just delete extracted folder again, done, instead of having to firstly uninstall old deluge, install newer, test newer and uninstall again if not working, and reinstall old back. Anyway not important and do what preferred yourself of-course.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Okay, it installed okay with the file in place.

When I open Deluge, a message appears and will not close: "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1."
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yeah, for that i'll just again copy/paste one of my snippets from a few years ago:
@all, just wanted to add that there's two issues I found with the "win7"(python <3.9) versions, and also is there when building manually from source, so not something I introduced - If having classic mode enabled in win7 then you need select other deluge theme than the default during install, as else the deluge GTKUI is borked and looks strange, and all others work from installer. Then there's an issue if having a second CD or external whatever drive added and used a disc or whatever and not having rebooted, which in that case will show error when starting deluge about insert disc in drive a or something - this can be avoided by after ejecting a disc from said drive, then rigtclick drive and select eject in windows explorer(I know empty but regardless), so windows shows error as empty already, but then afterwards deluge works again, and will not show this error again untill entering disc again in which will need workaround repeated unless having rebooted afterwards sometime. Could also just reboot of-course, but other workaround nicer. This never happens on win10 for some reason, even with exact same installer strangely, and i've spent many hours trying to find what triggers this i.e. run deluge in debugger and traced diffs of api calls between win10 and win7 eject commands, and googled the f out of it in general(and is an issue reported on many different projects btw previously i.e. "insert disk in drive a" error, or whatever drive letter used), but to no avail unfortunetly. Just a heads-up.
Source: viewtopic.php?p=233666#p233666

(The theme notion can be disregarded I think, because I believe I sat default theme to be win32 theme at that time, and not adwaita as current in official. Second, the notion about these issues being for python under 3.9, is also irrelevant here and so still applies)
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Thank-you, for your response.

I have: 1 real optical drive, a virtual optical drive, and some card thing that I have never used. They are all empty in the first place. I then used "eject" on all of them, but when I then opened Deluge, there was no change--dialogue still appears and does not go away.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Forgive me for being slow, but did you rightcclick and select eject in explorer(despite empty), and/or reboot? If so, then i'm sorry dunno, as was the fix I found working for me, and same for a few people experiencing same in PMs. Btw, it's specifically referring to \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 here, so need eject on that drive in explorer. Maybe doesn't work here unfortunetly, as I have only tested it on a virtual usb drive or cddrive in my VM, and the people I helped I believe used USB floppy drives etc, so maybe something different here sadly. I know sounds stupid, but I reproduced it countless times myself, so no fluke, and no misunderstanding by me.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Try disabling the optical drives, SD Card reader, and virtual drives in device manager (they will no longer show up in explorer if done properly) and restarting deluge.

If this does not fix the issue, then these drives/card readers were not the device that deluge was referring to I believe.