Deluge causing disconnection

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
ray5450

Deluge causing disconnection

Post by ray5450 »

After some time of being busy with other things, I have not used Deluge in a while, but now something unusual is happening with my internet connection and Deluge. After days of trial and error testing, I have narrowed it down to this. If I open Deluge, with the queue absolutely empty, my internet connection stops. I have wired ethernet. It will not reconnect after closing Deluge. It will not reconnect after uninstalling/reinstalling the ethernet adapter driver. The only way I have found to re-establish a connection, is to change the MAC address of the adapter. I also noticed that I cannot use an address that I used previously. Why is this happening?
ambipro

Re: Deluge causing disconnection

Post by ambipro »

Not being familiar with your setup beyond what you _THINK_ is causing loss of network, we really can't tell you what is going on. I haven't heard of anyone experiencing anything like this before.

I would guess that it is something in your router, though, that is causing this....to verify this, you can try power-cycling your router after it stops working or even better entirely factory defaulting/resetting your router settings (make a backup if possible of settings first) and seeing if connection restores.

I doubt this has anything to do with your actual computer from the limited information you've given, and thus disabling/reinstalling the network adapter or restarting the computer did not help...

Give us some actual details of your setup if you expect real help, what OS you're running, what version of deluge, what router you are using, and maybe the network adapter you're connected with....if you're using a VPN (although I'd assume you're not) - stuff that's relevant....not just "it doesn't work tell me what's wrong"
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

(testing without VPN first to rule out any problem with VPN)
Router: no router; wired ethernet as stated
Ethernet adapter: Qualcomm
Deluge version: 1.3.12 (see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54561)

Thanks.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

ray5450 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:33 pm Router: no router; wired ethernet as stated
Just because you are running an ethernet cable directly to get access to the internet/network does not mean there is no router, there is going to almost always be a modem/router involved (and if you have more than one device accessing the internet at your location, you almost certainly have a router)

If you connect directly to the outside internet/WAN with a public IP via just a modem (you can check your IP in command prompt with 'ipconfig' and compare to www.ipchicken.com or something) - then the problem is likely with your ISP directly seeing the traffic. This would likely be solved by changing your MAC address, as you would appear as a "different device" to them. Thus you regain internet. However, your modem would still show the same information, if you have one. I'm not sure of the cause, so this is all speculation. A VPN, if setup properly in deluge, would almost certainly prevent this from happening though.

If you have another machine to test on, you could run deluge with the same data directory as your windows 7 machine and essentially mirror the traffic and see if the source of the issue is that machine, or outside of it. Just as a sanity check.

Really, there are a lot of possibilities and we are working on, still, limited information about your networking.

if your IP address in 'ipconfig' shows something like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x then you certainly have some sort of router....wired ethernet has nothing to do with the presence of a router.

If this also happens when you use a VPN, assuming you're set up in deluge properly with that VPN, then I really don't know what is going on.

Also, as a side note, you're on some seriously antiquated OS and deluge versions man.

Aside from extremely out-of-date and end-of-life'd software, we still need details about your network since that is where the problem lies.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Thank-you, for your response, your information, and trying to help me.

"Just because you are running an ethernet cable directly to get access to the internet/network does not mean there is no router, there is going to almost always be a modem/router involved (and if you have more than one device accessing the internet at your location, you almost certainly have a router)"
--I only have one device and it is wired. Okay, so, correction: I do not have a wireless connection to a router, but yes, there must be a modem.

"A VPN, if setup properly in deluge"
--I have a VPN, but it is, I guess, "external" (?) to Deluge....(and, possibly/probably not working).
--Are there instructions somewhere to set it up "in" Deluge, as you say?

"Also, as a side note, you're on some seriously antiquated OS and deluge versions man."
--As the link I provided shows, I cannot get newer versions to work.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

--I only have one device and it is wired. Okay, so, correction: I do not have a wireless connection to a router, but yes, there must be a modem.
I would assume then, yes, you have a modem of _SOME_ sort, this would be the box your ethernet cable connects to assuming you are not in a dorm or something and connect directly to a jack in the wall or something.
"A VPN, if setup properly in deluge"
--I have a VPN, but it is, I guess, "external" (?) to Deluge....(and, possibly/probably not working).
--Are there instructions somewhere to set it up "in" Deluge, as you say?
If you are using what is generally used in most VPN's which is a TAP adapter, if I'm not mistaken, it should capture all your traffic and route it through the VPN...this would work for what we are trying to accomplish (masking traffic to see if the ISP is the culprit of your loss of internet) - as none of the traffic would be identifiable to anyone besides you, the VPN, and the intended recipient.

I do not have any idea how to setup deluge 1.x in-app with a VPN, but I would assume most VPN software would be able to be configured in the way I described above, or alternatively for specific applications.

This all depends on the VPN and software provided, but seeing as you are on such an old version of deluge, I'd recommend searching google or the forums here or your VPN provider for posts relevant if your VPN software cannot accomplish these things for you.
"Also, as a side note, you're on some seriously antiquated OS and deluge versions man."
--As the link I provided shows, I cannot get newer versions to work.
Well, Windows 7 is about 5 versions old, so it's not just deluge. I understand that you had issues with other versions of deluge...Not super familiar with a solution to your problem or I'd give it, but I would assume that if you were to use a more up to date OS, these issues preventing you from using a current version of deluge would go away as well.

Not pushing you to upgrade, just giving you my observations...I use some old version of software currently because I like it, but at some point the cons outweigh the benefits. You will have to decide what that is for you when the time comes I suppose.

It's also too bad you don't have another machine you can test this problem out on, because it is certainly unique and I'm still not quite sure what would cause it outside of your ISP. But that's just a theory.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

One of the things ambipro stated in his helpful replies where router issues. Its known some cheaper routers(e.g in modem) can loose internet through torrenting, and this had been brought up several times through the last decade plus, and recommended solutions been lower connections in preferences, all of them to make sure if in doubt(total/global, per sec and half-open etc). If use ltconfig plugin then disable for testing, plus restart deluge(as also has saved connection settings I believe). I know was stated empty queue, but still the likes of dht etc., makes connections still.

The part about needing change Mac and whatnot, sorta leads elsewhere, as per ambipro's followups, but just in case.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

" in a dorm or something and connect directly to a jack in the wall or something"
--Yes, exactly. However, there still must be a modem somewhere.

"I do not have any idea how to setup deluge 1.x in-app with a VPN"
--Are you implying that there a way to do this in the current Deluge version?

"Well, Windows 7 is about 5 versions old, so it's not just deluge."
--Windows 10 is a current version. Between Windows 7 and 10 is only version 8.
--At the time of my posts at the above link, Windows 7 was current at that time and with the 2 or 3 Deluge versions immediately following the one I still use.

"google"/"your VPN provider for posts relevant if your VPN software"
--I did search the net for this, and got a few hits, but were not the same issue.
--Provider forum appears to be a community forum rather than those that actually designed the VPN software. There are some rather self-centered people on that so-called "help" forum, and they will not answer me. When I asked about the VPN part of this there, I received snarky responses, such as "I'm not a teacher". What kind of "help" forum is that, right?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

--Yes, exactly. However, there still must be a modem somewhere.
Actually, if this is the case, then your situation is almost certainly that the network administrator is using something similar to DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) to filter torrent traffic and probably blacklist users who attempt to utilize things like DHT and torrenting, and you would need a VPN to do any of this without detection, I'm not sure if enabling encryption and disabling DHT would even help in this sort of situation. This is common in these types of networks, though, and VPN's are the solution I'm familiar with.

There is not a modem, but instead probably a network switch somewhere in a server room that is doing the routing of the traffic for the entire network.
--Are you implying that there a way to do this in the current Deluge version?

This is current 2.1.1 - there may be something similiar, but it is a more complicated way than just using VPN software to route all traffic or specific app's traffic. Some of the options are also not entirely obscured from advanced DPI, and depend on your implementation of the proxy'ing.
--Windows 10 is a current version. Between Windows 7 and 10 is only version 8.
--At the time of my posts at the above link, Windows 7 was current at that time and with the 2 or 3 Deluge versions immediately following the one I still use.
I'm not going to argue semantics over what the current version of Windows is, this seems irrelevant and pointless to debate...my opinion is that 11 is current version, and while 10 official EOL's in October of 2025, 22H2 is the final version (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifec ... me-and-pro). Regardless of this, 7 is not even close and stopped receiving all updates over 3 years ago.

Once again, I'm not pushing you to change anything dramatically, but seeking support when you can't or won't use _RELATIVELY_ current versions makes things markedly harder on many fronts. Not impossible, but just harder.

The good news is this is probably solved with a VPN, and you then should be able to continue to use Windows 7 and the version of Deluge you are on...I'm just not sure many of the VPN software will be able to support Windows 7. You'll have to research this.
--I did search the net for this, and got a few hits, but were not the same issue.
--Provider forum appears to be a community forum rather than those that actually designed the VPN software. There are some rather self-centered people on that so-called "help" forum, and they will not answer me. When I asked about the VPN part of this there, I received snarky responses, such as "I'm not a teacher". What kind of "help" forum is that, right?
Sounds like you need to invest in a quality VPN with actual support and working software (you said your VPN software was possibly not working) - there are many options for very cheap. Google is your friend here. I would suggest you make sure they allow for port forwarding if you intend on seeding, though.

Hopefully, this points you in the direction you need to go, I see this as the most likely cause for your issues, however, this is based on speculation and not testing or specific knowledge of your network administrator's setup. For less than 10$, you can find out conclusively with a solid VPN if this is what is going on though, and if it fixes your issue, there you go.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

1 Modem
--Acknowledged.

2 VPN in Deluge
--The Deluge version I have appears the same. What would go in this proxy? Would it be the IP address of the VPN server?
--There is also a place to enter a port. Would that be the port the VPN uses?

3 Windows 7
--So far, I have not found any software that does not work in Windows 7.

4 VPN
--When I say "not working", I mean because either its settings are wrong, or there is something interfering with it. I believe it can work. However, I will investigate that elsewhere because it is not a Deluge thing. (Although, I'll take any suggestions.)

Thanks.