Port Issue

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
mhertz

Re: Port Issue

Post by mhertz »

I'm not really a network wizz honestly, and so if there need to be a rule in place for deluge to allow incoming traffic from VPN then I apologize for wrong information before, sorry.

Edit: I checked my win10 VM, and indeed need allow deluge through firewall, despite merely through VPN connection in my test(bound to vpn), strangely to me, obviously without vpn then would be manadatory for incoming connections, but what do you know, learn something new everyday I guess :) Sorry as said. (I never noticed because in my testings always have firewall rules enabled anyways, for allowing my VPN local subnet and block everything else, since use open-source openvpn client needing manual kill-switch added)
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

mhertz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:31 pm I'm not really a network wizz honestly, and so if there need to be a rule in place for deluge to allow incoming traffic from VPN then I apologize for wrong information before, sorry.

Edit: I checked my win10 VM, and indeed need allow deluge through firewall, despite merely through VPN connection in my test(bound to vpn), strangely to me, obviously without vpn then would be manadatory for incoming connections, but what do you know, learn something new everyday I guess :) Sorry as said. (I never noticed because in my testings always have firewall rules enabled anyways, for allowing my VPN local subnet and block everything else, since use open-source openvpn client needing manual kill-switch added)
No problem, I don't know that much either. But I appreciate all the help you and ambipro have given me.

Is it a bad idea for the vpn to have all the ports open?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Don't open more ports than needed. Despite as said if not listened on locally then not connectable anyways, but regardless. What do you mean specifically, a port-range VS single port(for deluge), or there is an option for just opening all regular service ports or something? Anyway, as said, VPN or not, don't open unneeded ports.

Ambipro and rest good people here can though help you better with these issues honestly :)

Edit: Sorry you refer to the deluge rule of-course. Well it would in theory be best to set actual port(s), but as said not even used if not opening them all in VPN and deluge too both, as just rule for deluge specifically, plus windows sets them itself as such on first deluge run anyways(if selecting OK to its security prompt about it), so personally wouldn't fret, but up to you.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

mhertz wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:08 am Don't open more ports than needed. Despite as said if not listened on locally then not connectable anyways, but regardless. What do you mean specifically, a port-range VS single port(for deluge), or there is an option for just opening all regular service ports or something? Anyway, as said, VPN or not, don't open unneeded ports.

Ambipro and rest good people here can though help you better with these issues honestly :)

Edit: Sorry you refer to the deluge rule of-course. Well it would in theory be best to set actual port(s), but as said not even used if not opening them all in VPN and deluge too both, as just rule for deluge specifically, plus windows sets them itself as such on first deluge run anyways(if selecting OK to its security prompt about it), so personally wouldn't fret, but up to you.
With PrivateVPN, you can either have it open a specific random port that changes each time you launch Private VPN or you have it open all ports. The first option would be fine for seedboxes, but very inconvenient for normal machines that turn off each day.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Your option is limited then. Turn on all of them, and block them with your firewall rules I guess.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

By the way, is it OK if a machine has two torrent clients running, both using the same port?
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

ambipro wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:12 pm Your option is limited then. Turn on all of them, and block them with your firewall rules I guess.
Is there a VPN that offers port forwarding and can always use the same port, even when restarting the VPN?
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

There's a recent thread in Off-Topic, and you can use google. I don't really recommend specific VPN's for a variety of reasons I go over in the thread.

viewtopic.php?p=237260
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

As long as scriptable(and good deal, while still somewhat "respectable", or atleast not the contrary), I personally don't mind ports changing, but that's just me(if not scriptable, then dealbreaker for me though, but reverse engineered mine with devtools lol). You're still connectable fine and just reannounce the new port to swarm, like the IP also often changing likewise, unless static, which I don't personally wanna pay extra for. As for your question of two torrent clients using same port, then I don't believe so, since it would be reserved already after the first client attaches a listening socket to it. As ambipro stated, you could do that(open all ports on vpn and block with firewall unneeded ones), though as said, the ports are not even open in reality(only possibility of), unless running services on your machine for them specifically - like when doing the online vpn ip port forwarding test with deluge closed, then states port not open, and when starting deluge shows open.
Baneling

Post by Baneling »

So I have my port forwarding working as reported by canyouseeme.org. but I'm not noticing an increase of uploading. Is it possible I have a setting in deluge that's negating the port forwarding or the increase in uploading?