[Ubuntu] Change client name

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
kley
New User
New User

[Ubuntu] Change client name

Post by kley »

Hi,
i was wondering if it's possible to modify/hide/spoof the client name shown to the other wile torrenting.
In my case it's something like "Deluge 2.0.5-0-202112151848-ubuntu20.04.1".
mhertz

Re: [Ubuntu] Change client name

Post by mhertz »

Yes, easiest is ticking 'anonymous mode' under 'proxy' tab in preferences(works without proxy defined, and imho should be placed elsewhere, as was split of into seperate option in libtorrent specifically to support other use cases than just proxies), or enable same option(anonymous_mode) in ltconfig plugin. This strips user_agent completely, so empty string sent for user_agent.

Alternatively you can use ltconfig plugin to change 'user_agent' to whatever wanted, or can edit the deluge code directly instead, '.../deluge/core/core.py', line 123/115, for 2.0.5/develop.

I believe btw it's builds from PPAs that include distro/os in user_agent, so if it's only about that you want avoided, then could also change to other source for getting deluge, e.g 'sudo pip install deluge' doesn't do this.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Ah that is a bug with how the version was parsed for the PPA, I have fixed it and updated focal package with the rest should be updated soon
kley
New User
New User

Post by kley »

Thanks all!