Deluge Windows Builds

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Deluge Windows Builds

Post by mhertz »

I once posted a plugin in this thread restarting the libtorrent session with other useragent/fingerprint, to hopefully circumvent blocking of dev builds usage. The file host I used is blocked now, and I stupidly never backed up things I don't personally use myself(windows etc) so need remake, but I'll do later, when time/motivation permits, and post here again in some days probably.

Just in case needed, and sorry doadin for somewhat off-topic.

Edit: I will just edit in the link here when ready, to not "spam".
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

mhertz wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:31 am I once posted a plugin in this thread restarting the libtorrent session with other useragent/fingerprint, to hopefully circumvent blocking of dev builds usage. The file host I used is blocked now, and I stupidly never backed up things I don't personally use myself(windows etc) so need remake, but I'll do later, when time/motivation permits, and post here again in some days probably.

Just in case needed, and sorry doadin for somewhat off-topic.

Edit: I will just edit in the link here when ready, to not "spam".
Can't you just use ltConfig and modify the user_agent value?

I'm sure it would be nice for some to not have all the extra confusion that may provide, but that is what you are referring to?

Is there additional fingerprinting you're referring to?

Edit:

Quick question, I woulda PM'd you but since I quoted you and this seems relevant to others perhaps I'll post here.

I'm currently running thin client on windows and the deluge in linux (docker, although this probably wouldn't matter) - would updating to this build for my local thin client instance provide me a benefit in the UI/UX elements fixed/added doadin notes, or does the daemon need to be running the same version.

I am 99.9% sure that I would have no issues with trackers blacklisting dev builds since thin client reports nothing, and the daemon is still running stable 2.1.1....but just for other potential searches/users - clarification could be beneficial.

<3 mhertz & doadin
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sure you're correct, that and the peer-fingerprint as you state, honestly I did think my plugin did something special and actually didn't remembered there where e.g. libtorrent settings for both these, not fingerprint atleast, and just remember seeing the initialization code often using it, and originally gotten the tricks from binhex docker, and arch linux deluge package. My older plugin at startup found the latest stable deluge version, from pinging deluge main site using the same system as deluge auto-update-checking does(or use fallback value) and restarted the libtorrent session with these values, but you could easilly just set them manually with ltconfig and forget it - now that I think about it, then actually no reason to make plugin then really, just set e.g. user_agent to Deluge/2.1.1 libtorrent/2.0.8.0 and peer_fingerprint to -DE211s- and not really important to update these I believe, despite e.g. you updating deluge later etc - thanks bro for educating me, appreciated :)

Sure, you're right in that you will have no issues with blacklisting, and I believe there will be some enhancements, for the GTK-UI client-wise still, unless i'm wrong, so worth a shoot, can't hurt atleast.

Thank bro, love back buddy.
doadin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by doadin »

Yea in order to not get builds confused with official, I was asked to not make "stable" releases (back when I first started I released a couple) even though they eventually have the same changes(again i pull in commits sometimes ealy but often they get merged) and I NEVER modifiy my builds to do anything bad. And this totally makes sence. I just push these out sometimes mostly do them for myself but so other can test too if they feel like testing that way imo more testing = eventually more stable because people have a change to report errors and then thhey can give feedback.
doadin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by doadin »

mhertz wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:06 pm Sure you're correct, that and the peer-fingerprint as you state, honestly I did think my plugin did something special and actually didn't remembered there where e.g. libtorrent settings for both these, not fingerprint atleast, and just remember seeing the initialization code often using it, and originally gotten the tricks from binhex docker, and arch linux deluge package. My older plugin at startup found the latest stable deluge version, from pinging deluge main site using the same system as deluge auto-update-checking does(or use fallback value) and restarted the libtorrent session with these values, but you could easilly just set them manually with ltconfig and forget it - now that I think about it, then actually no reason to make plugin then really, just set e.g. user_agent to Deluge/2.1.1 libtorrent/2.0.8.0 and peer_fingerprint to -DE211s- and not really important to update these I believe, despite e.g. you updating deluge later etc - thanks bro for educating me, appreciated :)

Sure, you're right in that you will have no issues with blacklisting, and I believe there will be some enhancements, for the GTK-UI client-wise still, unless i'm wrong, so worth a shoot, can't hurt atleast.

yea you can use the ltconfig and change the settings so it looks like a stable build which honestly libtorrent does like all the actuall torrenting deluge is really just a front end so since I never modify the libtorrent code only update the version, nothing bad a tracker would care about would happen with my dev builds but again I mostly just do the builds for myself cause understandably cas is a busy guy but I would still like to use newer libtorrent versions some times, and things like that, so I just make my own.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

doadin wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:11 am
mhertz wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:06 pm Sure you're correct, that and the peer-fingerprint as you state, honestly I did think my plugin did something special and actually didn't remembered there where e.g. libtorrent settings for both these, not fingerprint atleast, and just remember seeing the initialization code often using it, and originally gotten the tricks from binhex docker, and arch linux deluge package. My older plugin at startup found the latest stable deluge version, from pinging deluge main site using the same system as deluge auto-update-checking does(or use fallback value) and restarted the libtorrent session with these values, but you could easilly just set them manually with ltconfig and forget it - now that I think about it, then actually no reason to make plugin then really, just set e.g. user_agent to Deluge/2.1.1 libtorrent/2.0.8.0 and peer_fingerprint to -DE211s- and not really important to update these I believe, despite e.g. you updating deluge later etc - thanks bro for educating me, appreciated :)

yea you can use the ltconfig and change the settings so it looks like a stable build which honestly libtorrent does like all the actuall torrenting deluge is really just a front end so since I never modify the libtorrent code only update the version, nothing bad a tracker would care about would happen with my dev builds but again I mostly just do the builds for myself cause understandably cas is a busy guy but I would still like to use newer libtorrent versions some times, and things like that, so I just make my own.
Just for clarification...and my curiosity...

You offer 3.9 and 3.10 versions of python. I'm not sure which version @Cas's build uses (stable official) but does this matter, or do you have a preference or recommendation? As I said previously I'm using binhex's docker image, not positive what version that uses, but I'd be using your build as my thin client, mainly for UI/UX improvements.

I'm sure other people would benefit from an explanation of the differences, as I've had many ask about libtorrent version differences and python versions just seems like another similar to that type of thing.
doadin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by doadin »

ambipro wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:02 am

You offer 3.9 and 3.10 versions of python. I'm not sure which version @Cas's build uses (stable official) but does this matter, or do you have a preference or recommendation? As I said previously I'm using binhex's docker image, not positive what version that uses, but I'd be using your build as my thin client, mainly for UI/UX improvements.

I'm sure other people would benefit from an explanation of the differences, as I've had many ask about libtorrent version differences and python versions just seems like another similar to that type of thing.
Im not really sure, theres nothing deluge specific I don't think that would change per python version but maybe theres some optimizations in newer python or something, both are still in support for security fixes. imo unlikely that that would be any noticable difference in either, but I could be wrong.Personally I just use the newest versions where I can as imo usually the newest version of most software I would think gets the most attention and therefore less bug more opimized, etc etc.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

doadin wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:31 am

Im not really sure, theres nothing deluge specific I don't think that would change per python version but maybe theres some optimizations in newer python or something, both are still in support for security fixes. imo unlikely that that would be any noticable difference in either, but I could be wrong.Personally I just use the newest versions where I can as imo usually the newest version of most software I would think gets the most attention and therefore less bug more opimized, etc etc.
Kind of my thoughts as well, but just wanted to be sure as you had provided 3.9 as well :)

Thanks for all your efforts!
highvoltage
Leecher
Leecher

Post by highvoltage »

@doadin in your builds, what was the reason not to do it with libtorrent-2.0.8 and v1.2.18 ? any reason in particular?

your opinion in

3.11 version python Is it still not a viable option?

GTK4 is it an option? or would it be very unstable on windows?

Once again I thank and admire all your efforts and help for all the community that loves Deluge.

I hope @cas implements this in future versions, for me it's very useful when you have a big list to edit.

https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/2047

doadin wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:31 am

ambipro

Post by ambipro »

This is definitely something I would die for if my passkey changed on one of my trackers....

Currently have a couple of thousand seeding torrents...seems like an intuitive feature.