torrents leaking!

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
pelham456
New User
New User

torrents leaking!

Post by pelham456 »

long-time user of uTor; new to deluge. have a few quibbles, but the biggest problem is that some of my torrents GO BACKWARDS!

torrents which crawl up 24%...28%...36% -- including thru shutdowns and relaunches of app and even PC -- will suddenly be at like 12% on one particular relaunch!

i understand about the "incomplete fragments" issue (rounding down), but going from 40% to 15%, say, in one fell swoop?! is that POSSIBLE?

then it proceeds normally again 15%...23%...27%...w/e, including across sessions. until the NEXT time i'm caught off guard by some obscenely low number.

note that it is never ZEROING out, as addressed in various other threads. just SHRINKING.

for example, one particular torrent right now is 184M. after seeing it do the aforementioned "reset" a couple of time, my status tab now reveals:

DLed: 178.4 (13.36%)
ULed: 308.8
share ratio: 12.563

gee i'm no math wiz, but somehow i don't think 178.4 is 13.36% (!) of 184M. should be high 90s, no, but instead it appears deluge has only retained 24.58M (13.36% of 184) of the 178.4M downloaded! what thu...????

now, lest u consider the alternate scenario, that the 178.4 is really there, but is 13.36% of some LARGER batch (namely, 1.34G) that i somehow accidentally turned on, i'll just mention that a) no, i didn't, and b) 24.58M * 12.563 share ratio = 308.8M perfectly. so that cross checks.

any theories? i would normally be thinking bad sectors or the like, but i haven't had any such probs on this machine to date. and these tors were all working fine over on uTor.

to be fair, most** tors seem to going ok. and with reasonable share ratios: 0.0, 0.0, 0.3, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.1. compared to 12.6 on this one!

1.3.11 / 0.16.18.0 / win7, btw.

TIA!

-----
** SO FAR. but i'm becoming increasingly paranoid about turning things on which took me months and months to build up. 105G torrent, for example, about 60% done. am i gonna wake up and find THAT at 12% ?!
pcordes
New User
New User

Re: torrents leaking!

Post by pcordes »

So you have partial torrents from uTor that you're trying to complete with deluge? Did you "force recheck"

You should probably make a copy of one of your old partial torrents before adding it in deluge. I guess a smaller one for testing purposes.

And yeah, I'd advise caution. deluge isn't super careful about warning you before stepping on existing files. e.g. if you try to resume a torrent and point deluge at files existing on disk, but give it the wrong folder. It will make a new file, of course, since it didn't find the old one. If you then "move download folder" to a location where there's already a file, deluge will zero out a bunch of your old file. I managed to lose a file this way once, even though I'd made a hardlink (not a copy, just a different name for the same data). I was expecting deluge to either replace my existing file, or to use it, but I wasn't expecting it to write crap into it. :evil:

So anyway, yes, be careful with Deluge. Test things first with small amounts of data you can re-download.
pelham456
New User
New User

re: torrents leaking!

Post by pelham456 »

no, i am past all that. moving my partials from uTor to Deluge was actually LESS of a headache than i had expected. yeah, there were a *few* glitches -- briefly THOUGHT i'd lost everything -- but in the end, nothing major.

problems are all SINCE that, including on new t0rs which were never in uTor to begin with (last week's TV shows, say). DELUGE gets them up to 20%...30%...40% and then DELUGE resets them to 15%!!

the client giveth; the client taketh away. :shock:
pelham456
New User
New User

Post by pelham456 »

i gotta say, the ABSOLUTE total ("downloaded", in MB) proceeds along as it should, and the TIME REMAINING is generally in the ballpark of what I expect. from the outside, it looks like there's nothing wrong above and beyond the %age DISPLAYING wrong. any chance that's ALL that it is?

(and NO, "force recheck" does not knock the number back to its higher, correct, value. alas.)

i am curious what happens when the "downloaded" number reaches the full total, and the "time remaining" reaches zero, all the while the "%age" shows 42% or somesuch. WILL i have the finished file or not?

never seen this in uTor or anywhere else. i'm surprised the development staff here isn't more interested in this BASIC, seemingly CRITICAL, glitch.
pelham456
New User
New User

Post by pelham456 »

alas, my question just answered itself. a 223M tor is now at 226M downloaded, yet showing no signs of wrapping up. and any attempts to "play" it end in crashes -- it is clearly the 40% partial which it claims.

so my first interpretation was correct: it did download the full thing -- and then some -- but has lost 60%+ of it along the way!!

can't think of a worse bug. back to uTor i go.