Getting Deluge To Start On Reboot (Synology NAS)

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
metal450

Getting Deluge To Start On Reboot (Synology NAS)

Post by metal450 »

Hey All,

After what seems like an endless cycle of Googling & failed attempts, I finally have Deluge running on my Synology NAS (DiskStation), via the SynoCommunity's Debian Chroot package. Just fantastic torrent software - blows Transmission out of the water :) There's only one thing that no matter what I try I can't seem to get working, and that's to have Deluge auto-run after a device reboot.

What I did: I used the boot script here (http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/User ... ipt/Ubuntu), which works just fine if I run it manually (invoke-rc.d deluge-daemon start). If I "update-rc.d deluge-daemon defaults" and reboot though, deluge is not running. Similarly, if I add "/etc/init.d/deluge-daemon" to the Debian Chroot console's Services tab on DSM (the DiskStation's web interface) and reboot, it says the service is running - but it really isn't. Even more confusingly, If I then stop and restart it manually from that very same console, it works. So basically the script itself *must* be working - it just refuses to start by itself.

I've been struggling with this for like half a day now - 5X longer than the entire rest of the setup took me - and am pretty much at a loss, so any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
dprus
New User
New User

Re: Getting Deluge To Start On Reboot (Synology NAS)

Post by dprus »

Hi metal,

Just wondering if you ever got this figured out? I'm facing the same issue right now too! I really wish someone would make a deluge package for DSM4.3 and stick it on a repo somewhere :)
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Nope. I tried everything I could think of before posting this question 1.5 months ago...and not one person responded :(

I also posted it here (http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... 61#p188261), in response to the Deluge thread that gave me the idea of how to set it up. No help there either tho.
dprus
New User
New User

Post by dprus »

metal450 wrote:Nope. I tried everything I could think of before posting this question 1.5 months ago...and not one person responded :(

I also posted it here (http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... 61#p188261), in response to the Deluge thread that gave me the idea of how to set it up. No help there either tho.
hmmm.. that sucks. Well - I'll keep trying as well and maybe one of us will figure it out eventually.
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Yup...if you do, it'd be much appreciated! I seriously spent like a whole day googling around for ideas, nothing worked though...
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Usual reasons for a service not starting are permissions or trying to start when another service has not started yet
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Based on the fact that I can stop/start it manually from the Debian Chroot console, it seems unlikely that it'd be permissions (right?) - so it's probably an issue of another service not having started. How would one approach debugging that, and/or forcing the Deluge service to start later...?
Symbiot

Post by Symbiot »

hi

I have the same problem and more or less the same setup..
what I've done is:

Learn to live with it.. I figured.. Ok sure.. it doesn't autostart for some reason.. but how often will I be rebooting my NAS.. and IF it reboots by itself.. I'm sure I'll survive having to go start the script from deb.chroot package..

I am having way more problems with keeping my torrents alive.. they seem to go into some hibernation state... when they finish downloading they don't really upload... if I restart the daemon then they start up again.. :-|
metal450

Post by metal450 »

Regarding your latter issue, I've had no such problems myself - but if you're wanting to bring up some unrelated issue, please create its own thread rather than change the subject of this one. I'm still hoping someone can come around and figure out how to fix the topic of *this* thread: "Getting Deluge To Start On Reboot..."
Symbiot

Post by Symbiot »

hi

no, not to hijack your thread.. it was a weak hope that it might've been syno-related...

Have you considered creating your own script that calls : /etc/init.d/deluge-daemon start

and adding that to deb.chroot services?

or adding it to debian's own 'start' scripts?