Set visible name of the client

Nescafi

Set visible name of the client

Post by Nescafi »

Hello,

I'm using Deluge for several months on Ubuntu and I like it so much that It's now my very main BT client. I enjoy the fact that new releases are not long to wait.

But recently i found a tracker that checked the client to allow only a small set of clients on their tracker (Azureus, uTorrent, KTorrent and a few others).

I don't know much about the BT protocol but I guess the tracker can check the name of the client as any peer can actually do, and filter allowed peers by this way.

To work around this, I wanted to change the name Deluge show to the tracker, so I tried to set the constants PROGRAM_NAME and PROGRAM_VERSION in common.py (replace "Deluge" by "Azureus" for example) but after that Deluge did not start any more.

Code: Select all

$ deluge
checking for ubuntu...
no existing Deluge session
Starting new Deluge session...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 145, in <module>
    start_deluge()
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 128, in start_deluge
    interface = deluge.interface.DelugeGTK()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/interface.py", line 54, in __init__
    common.CONFIG_DIR)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/core.py", line 223, in __init__
    int(version[3]),
IndexError: string index out of range
Does anyone know a way to change the name of the client visible to others ?

I'm trying to know more about this, so any little help is welcome.

Thanks a lot !
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Set visible name of the client

Post by johnnyg »

Nescafi wrote:Hello,

I'm using Deluge for several months on Ubuntu and I like it so much that It's now my very main BT client. I enjoy the fact that new releases are not long to wait.

But recently i found a tracker that checked the client to allow only a small set of clients on their tracker (Azureus, uTorrent, KTorrent and a few others).

I don't know much about the BT protocol but I guess the tracker can check the name of the client as any peer can actually do, and filter allowed peers by this way.

To work around this, I wanted to change the name Deluge show to the tracker, so I tried to set the constants PROGRAM_NAME and PROGRAM_VERSION in common.py (replace "Deluge" by "Azureus" for example) but after that Deluge did not start any more.

$ deluge
checking for ubuntu...
no existing Deluge session
Starting new Deluge session...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 145, in <module>
    start_deluge()
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 128, in start_deluge
    interface = deluge.interface.DelugeGTK()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/interface.py", line 54, in __init__
    common.CONFIG_DIR)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/core.py", line 223, in __init__
    int(version[3]),
IndexError: string index out of range
Does anyone know a way to change the name of the client visible to others ?

I'm trying to know more about this, so any little help is welcome.

Thanks a lot !
doing this is not recommended, it can get you banned from a tracker (not to mention get deluge banned).
instead it would be better to contact the tracker admins and inform them about deluge so that they can add it to the list.
solcott

Re: Set visible name of the client

Post by solcott »

Like johnnyg said lying about what client you are using probably isn't a good idea, but you could try changing...

CLIENT_CODE = "DE"
CLIENT_VERSION = "".join(PROGRAM_VERSION.split('.'))+"0"*(4 - len(PROGRAM_VERSION.split('.')))
to...

CLIENT_CODE = "AZ"
CLIENT_VERSION = "2.5.0.0"
I'm on a Windows box right now and don't have access to a compiler, but that looks like it should work.