"The system cannot find the path specified" on Windows XP

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
bartman2589
New User
New User

"The system cannot find the path specified" on Windows XP

Post by bartman2589 »

Intermittently I get an error when I'm downloading torrents that says "The system cannot find the path specified", if I do a 'Force Recheck' it finds the file no problem and resumes downloading where it left off for a while until it decides to pop the error message again. This is on an installation of Windows XP that is only about a week old, I'm running the XP firewall (planning on maybe moving to Comodo or ZoneAlarm soon though) with Avast Anti-virus Free Edition, on a 1Tb drive attached to a pci controller (since it's SATA not IDE and the motherboard only has IDE ports), in a Compaq Evo D510SFF w/2.2ghz P4 and 1.5Gb RAM and an old nVidia Mx 4000 PCI video card (system only has 2 pci slots and a half height AGP slot). I have Windows set to never turn off the display, and to never turn off the hard drives in the power management settings, I also have hibernation and standby disabled. I have run scandisk and other utilities and they never find any problems with the drive so I'm wondering if maybe someone here has any ideas as to what's going on?

I should also point out that the error message is inside Deluge and is being reported on the 'Details' tab for the affected torrents, it's not being generated by Windows itself as near as I can tell. I'm running Deluge version 1.3.1 (I can't run 1.3.3 yet because even the version with the 'fixed' libtorrent library still has too many bugs in it to be usable on my system).

Thanks in advance for any help,
bartman2589
bartman2589
New User
New User

Re: "The system cannot find the path specified" on Windows X

Post by bartman2589 »

Figured it out, turned out to be a path length problem (total length of the path to the files was over the 255 character limit). Caused by the fact that I had setup Deluge to download into a subfolder in my 'My Documents' folder, since it was going through the full path (C:\Documents & Settings\*user name*\*user name*'s Documents\Torrents\Unfinished Torrent Downloads\*very long torrent name*\*very long filename of file in torrent*.???) it exceeded the 255 character limit but for whatever reason it wasn't constantly affecting the download, occasionally it would work just fine. Anyway, moving my folders and changing the folder preferences in Deluge fixed it.