Bizzarre behavior with the "left" key

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
5thhorseman

Bizzarre behavior with the "left" key

Post by 5thhorseman »

I have recently noticed bizzarre behavior of several peers whose clients identify themselves to the tracker as Deluge 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 (unfortunately, that's all I have to go on; for all I know these could be cheating tools spoofing Deluge's identification).

These peers first connect to the tracker giving the "left" value as equal to the torrent size (in other words, presenting themselves as if they have no data). Immediately after that, they connect again, giving a different - and much higher - value of that key, often registering as completion of smaller torrents and ranging up to 70 GB completion on larger ones.

I'v searched your forums, FAQ and bug tracker and found no mention of such behavior (admittedly, I might have missed it; I don't have many meaningful keywords to search for in this case).

As such, I'd like to ask the following question:
Has this kind of behavior been observed in the past from known legitimate copies of those two versions of the client, regardless what OS they ran in and what plugins were installed?

A simple confirmation - positive or negative - is all I need.
5thhorseman

Re: Bizzarre behavior with the "left" key

Post by 5thhorseman »

Since posting that I've observed this behavior from pretty much every one of our users with a 1.3.x version of your client.
I would appreciate if one of the developers can address this issue, because TBH at this point we're close to blacklisting Deluge as a whole.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Bizzarre behavior with the "left" key

Post by andar »

That's hard to say. We don't know which version of libtorrent the client is running based on the peer id or string. I know libtorrent has changed the way its dealt with this key and announces in general over the past year of versions so you may be seeing some sort of bug. The other possibility of course is that someone is spoofing Deluge or using a modified version of libtorrent to attempt to cheat the tracker.. This would be difficult to track down.