Deluge 1.3.x on Windows server 2008 R2

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
petzku

Deluge 1.3.x on Windows server 2008 R2

Post by petzku »

Hello

I used to have Deluge 1.2.3. running nicely on my Win2k8r2 server but then the system hdd crashed and not having backed it up I had to reinstall the whole system. After the reinstall I have not been able to make Deluge work reliably on the server. The setup I use is daemon running on the server with the webui enabled within the daemon itself. The daemon works fine on the new server install for a variable amount of time. Sometimes for hours but then sometimes even for almost a full day.

However at some point the daemon will freeze and Deluge stops working no matter what. After the daemon has frozen I cannot even kill the deluged.exe process from the server without rebooting the server. When I try to close the frozen daemon by closing its window only thing that happens is this text printed to the Daemon's window:
ConsoleCtrlHandler function failedTraceback (most recent call last):
File "deluge\core\daemon.py", line 123, in win_handler
AttributeError: 'Daemon' object has no attribute '_Daemon__shutdown'

Any ideas what might cause this? I've also attached a debug-level log from a deluged session which ends to the daemon freezing in the described manner.

EDIT: I've had the exact same behavior with both 1.3.0 and 1.3.1
Gen. Hospital

Re: Deluge 1.3.x on Windows server 2008 R2

Post by Gen. Hospital »

This is somewhat from left field, but have you considered running the Deluge daemon as a service?

I use srvany.exe from the win2003 Resource Kit Tools, and I've currently had it running for... well, I just checked, and it's just 4 days now, some update or other had to have a reboot or whatever.

Never had a problem with Deluge (on this box; had plenty of trouble elsewhere, though).

Uhm, I do realize that my suggestion isn't really a solution to your problem...
spitfire
New User
New User

Post by spitfire »

Can you tell me how did you achieve that? I have played awhile with srvany, no success:/
How did you set it up, what is the default working folder, and how to set it?
Gen. Hospital

Post by Gen. Hospital »

spitfire wrote:Can you tell me how did you achieve that? I have played awhile with srvany, no success:/
How did you set it up, what is the default working folder, and how to set it?

First I made a user to run Deluge (I made this user a member of the administrators group, but I dunnof if that's strictly necessary), logged on as that user, and started deluge.

In the options, deactivate classic mode, and set the daemon to allow remote connections. Quit Deluge. Start windows explorer, navigate to "C:\Users\<your deluge user>\AppData\Roaming\deluge". Open the file called "auth" in notepad or whatever. Add a line with "<user name>:<password>:10".
Place srvany.exe somewhere. F.ex the system32 folder, or in the deluge folder.

run the following command in an elevated command prompt (cmd.exe);

sc create <name of service> binPath=<path to srvany.exe> DisplayName=<Name you'd like to appear in services>

(If you'd like to delete the service at some point, run sc delete <name of service>)

Start regedit.exe, go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services". Find your service (based on <name of service>), add a subkey called "Parameters". In this key, add a reg_sz, and set it's value to the path to deluged.exe.

Now, go to Server Manager --> Configuration --> services and configure your service. Have it log on as the user you created before. Set it to run automatically, and start it.

On your client computer, deactivate classic mode, use the connection manager to create a connection to the server/username/password (From the "auth"-file).
The lamp next to it should turn green. This is the step I've had the most trouble with. You should be able to log on now and finish the configuration of your remote daemon.
mindthemonkey
New User
New User

Post by mindthemonkey »

Gen. Hospital, what OS are you on?
I tried setting up a service in 2003 Server and ran into the issues detailed in another thread
petzku

Post by petzku »

Turning normal programs into services is much harder in server 2k8 due to session 0 isolation see:
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/de ... ation.aspx

ie. services run in a different session and cant really interact with the desktop.
Gen. Hospital

Post by Gen. Hospital »

I wasn't paying attention to this thread :$

I'm on 2008R2, and it was working beautifully untill this morning. Hopefully I can get it up and running again.

EDIT: Turns out my latest problem was with yarss. (I think; I'm not too good with python) An unhandled exception.