deluge.exe not starting properly (Windows 7)

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
slbstmrd

deluge.exe not starting properly (Windows 7)

Post by slbstmrd »

So I've tried starting deluge using both explorer and cmd, both give me no errors or any logs of any kind.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling both deluge and GTK2, different versions of both. Nothing works.

What's up?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: deluge.exe not starting properly (Windows 7)

Post by johnnyg »

What do you see if you run deluge-debug.exe?
slbstmrd

Post by slbstmrd »

Running in cmd I get something along the lines of;
__init__:1080 DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.
(can't be arsed typing up the whole thing, but it says "There was an error whilst launching the request UI: gtk")

Now, I'm not stupid, I'd guess gtk doesn't load properly, but, like I said, I've tried different versions of gtk runtime, as well as Deluge.

Could this be a win 7 issue with dll-directories? Is there any way to direct deluge to the right files, or even better, get gtk to install into the right place?
gazpachoking

Post by gazpachoking »

Sounds like this problem. Make sure you uninstall delete all old references to gtk then reinstall.
NETVIRUS
New User
New User

Post by NETVIRUS »

I have the same problem i cant start deluge
i have unistaled and instaled gtk but dont start
i have windows 7
loki

Post by loki »

Worked first time for me on Win 7. Uninstalled first, and removed old shortcuts that pointed to cmd files. And installed everything to default locations and settings. (including gtk package)
Gen. Hospital

Post by Gen. Hospital »

Well, I guess this is stupid, but I have to install gtk with compatability dlls for deluge to work.
Polygon

Post by Polygon »

same for me, won't start =/

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge>deluge-debug.exe
[ERROR   ] 15:45:21 __init__:1080 DLL load failed: The specified procedure could
 not be found.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "deluge\ui\ui.py", line 127, in __init__
  File "deluge\ui\gtkui\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
  File "deluge\ui\gtkui\gtkui.py", line 45, in <module>
  File "gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
  File "gtk/_gtk.py", line 14, in <module>
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.
[ERROR   ] 15:45:21 ui:147 There was an error whilst launching the request UI: g
tk
[ERROR   ] 15:45:21 ui:148 Look at the traceback above for more information.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge>
why can every other gtk application, gimp, pidgin, xchat 2 work, but not deluge?

edit: whatever, i followed that FAQ entry where i removed all instances of gtk from my computer, one i had to just delete the folder cause the installer was bitching about registry entries it could not find, after that i ran the deluge installer again and it works now. Pidgin and xchat still work too which is good...
MasterCATZ

Post by MasterCATZ »

Windows 2008 Server R2 SP1
gtk+_2.22.1-1_win64

C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge>deluge-debug
[ERROR ] 09:06:44 __init__:1080 DLL load failed: The specified procedure could
not be found.
File "deluge\ui\ui.py", line 133, in __init__
File "deluge\ui\gtkui\gtkui.py", line 47, in <module>
File "gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
File "gtk/_gtk.py", line 14, in <module>
[ERROR ] 09:06:44 ui:153 There was an error whilst launching the request UI: g
tk
[ERROR ] 09:06:44 ui:154 Look at the traceback above for more information.

solution
disabled anti virus ( caused deluge gtk download to time-out during install )
reinstalled deluge so it re-downloaded gtk reinstalled gtk with compatible folder option selected instead of recommended folder
funnel

Post by funnel »

Another possible solution:
If you have installed other programs that use GTK, edit the PATH environment variable. Move the path(s) to GTK's EXE's and DLL's ahead of folders belonging to those other programs in the PATH variable.

Summary for programmers:
Deluge needs a private installation of GTK without sharing binaries with other programs. Some other GTK-dependent programs (Pidgin, GIMP) have already done this.

How to fix:
  1. Install Deluge and GTK.
  2. Open Control Panel.
  3. In the Control Panel window, open System.
  4. In the System Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
  5. Click the Environment Variables button.
  6. In the System Variables section in the lower half of the window, select the Path variable.
  7. Under the selection box, click the Edit button. (Optionally, copy the path that appears, and paste it in a text editor such as Notepad. If your system has a long PATH variable, this may make it easier to see and edit.)
  8. In the text of the PATH variable, find the parts belonging to GTK-Runtime. By default, the GTK installer adds:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GTK2-Runtime\bin
    ... to the end of the PATH variable.
  9. Cut GTK's paths out of the variable, and paste them in front of other paths closer to the beginning of the list. Remember to include semicolons (;) to separate each path within the PATH variable. Do not hit Enter or add newline separations into the PATH variable. Example:

C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows\system32\Wbem;C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.26.3\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\GTK2-Runtime\bin
    ... becomes...

C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows\system32\Wbem;C:\Program Files (x86)\GTK2-Runtime\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz2.26.3\bin
    WARNING: This may break other installed programs if those programs depend on GTK's position in the PATH variable.
  10. Hit OK on each window to close them.
  11. Try to open Deluge again. You may need to reboot for the new PATH to take effect. (I didn't need to reboot on XP x64, but some Vista/7 users have said a reboot was necessary.) If Deluge doesn't open, edit the PATH variable again, and move the GTK paths closer to the beginning of the list.
Explanation:
This is not a bug in Deluge itself, but it is a bug in the Deluge installer. It is a situation that the GTK installer does not handle (possibly for programmers who want to override some of GTK's files).

By default, the GTK installer adds the path(s) for its EXE's and DLL's to the end of Windows PATH environment variable. Some systems may require GTK's path to be in the middle or beginning of the PATH variable, depending on what other programs you have installed. The default path for the GTK-installer's EXE files is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GTK2-Runtime\bin
If, during installation, you selected to install GTK's DLL files to "<instdir>\lib" or "<instdir>", those paths may also need to be moved within the PATH variable.

When a program is run, it looks for any required files in its own folder first. If the program cannot find a particular file, it looks for it in the folders listed in the PATH variable, in the order the folders are listed. If any paths ahead of GTK's path in the list contain a file with the same name as any GTK files, then that unknown file is chosen first (because it appeared first in the PATH), and the default GTK file never gets called.

Tested and recreated the bug with:
Windows XP Pro x64
Deluge 1.3.1 and 1.3.3
Graphviz2.26.3 installed (uses GTK and changes PATH)
GnuPG installed (uses GTK and changes PATH)

I uninstalled all previous installations of GTK and Deluge. This might work without uninstalling, but I decided to test this the safest way possible so I could confirm the bug.

On my system, the paths for Graphviz and GnuPG were listed ahead of GTK-Runtime in the PATH. The Deluge GUI never appeared. Task Manager showed that the Deluge EXE opened and then closed immediately.

Error before editing the PATH variable:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge>deluge-debug.exe
[ERROR   ] 17:50:47 __init__:1080 DLL load failed: The specified procedure could
 not be found.
  File "deluge\ui\ui.py", line 133, in __init__
  File "deluge\ui\gtkui\gtkui.py", line 37, in <module>
  File "gobject/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
  File "glib/__init__.py", line 22, in <module>
  File "glib/_glib.py", line 14, in <module>
[ERROR   ] 17:50:47 ui:153 There was an error whilst launching the request UI: g
tk
[ERROR   ] 17:50:47 ui:154 Look at the traceback above for more information.
I used gnuwin32's "which" for Windows (also possible with Windows PowerShell) to discover that the paths of Graphviz and GnuPG were blocking Deluge's access to the proper default GTK binaries.

After editing the PATH, Deluge loaded properly.