Installing Deluge On FreeBSD

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
.faust
New User
New User

Installing Deluge On FreeBSD

Post by .faust »

At FreeBSD Ports is old version of Deluge
I have written a little guide to install a fresh version.
This guide includes package only for the kernel and web GUI of deluge.
All actions done by root.

Uninstall old version of deluge and libtarrent. Then back up old config files.

Install dependencies for deluge core:

Code: Select all

#cd /usr/ports/devel/boost-libs; make install clean
#cd /usr/ports/devel/boost-pyste; make install clean
#cd /usr/ports/lang/python26; make install clean
#cd /usr/ports/devel/py-twisted; make install clean
#cd /usr/ports/security/py-openssl; make install clean
#cd /usr/ports/devel/py-setuptools; make install clean
#cd /usr/ports/devel/gettext; make install clean
#cd /usr/ports/devel/py-xdg; make install clean
Then build libtorrent from tarball: (with 0.15.0 i have funny bug, so i use 0.14.10)

#cd /root/
#fetch http://libtorrent.googlecode.com/files/libtorrent-rasterbar-0.14.10.tar.gz
#tar -jxf ./libtorrent-rasterbar-0.15.0.tar.gz
#cd ./libtorrent-rasterbar-0.15.0
#./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/python2.6 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib/python2.6 --disable-debug --enable-python-binding --with-boost-system=boost_system  --with-boost-python=boost_python --with-boost-filesystem=boost_filesystem --with-boost-thread=boost_thread --with-boost-regex=boost_regex --with-boost-program-options=boost_program_options --with-asio=shipped --with-dht=on --with-encryption=on --with-libgeoip --with-zlib=system
#make
#make check
#make install
Install dependencies for deluge Web GUI:

#cd /usr/ports/textproc/py-mako; make install clean
#cd /usr/ports/textproc/py-chardet; make install clean
Then build deluge from tarball:

#cd /root/
#fetch http://download.deluge-torrent.org/source/deluge-1.2.3.tar.bz2
#tar -jxf deluge-1.2.3.tar.bz2
#cd ./deluge-1.2.3
#python setup.py clean -a
#python setup.py build
#python setup.py install
If building succeeds - trying to run and connect to Web GUI

#deluged -L debug -l <logfile> & deluge-web
Init Scripts

If you want to remove it all:
-remove libtorrent

#cd /root/libtorrent-rasterbar-0.15.0
#make uninstall 
-remove deluge (not use this commands if deluge installed from ports!)

#rm -r /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/deluge*
#rm -r /usr/local/bin/deluge*
P.S. If you have problems, check the path of packages. They may be changed or may be changed make scripts of the packages(if this is true - then you need shaman drum to build deluge ;) ).
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Installing Deluge On FreeBSD

Post by Cas »

Good to see an upto date guide for this as someone was asking a few days ago about this :)

There is a freebsd install wiki page but if it is out of date feel free to update. http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Installing/FreeBSD
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Spadge »

Great to see a guide here! It took me ages to figure out and get deluge1.2.3 to work.

That is my experience of libtorrent15 too - it just plain doesn't work. So I too went back to 14.10 and it's pretty stable.

I'm intrigued as to why you compile 14.10 from tarball rather than from ports. And I'm impressed with your .configure fu. I ended up hacking the deluge setup.py to make that work in FreeBSD and compile libtorrent rather than go the separate libtorrent route.

Thanks again!
.faust
New User
New User

Post by .faust »

Libtorrent from ports compiled without python-binding. I tried to change the makefile, but libtorren of ports did not want to compile. I think this is from patches or other key.
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Spadge »

I guess that as long as that is the case, it will not be possible for deluge1.2.3 to be included in ports.
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Spadge »

Deluge v1.3-rc1

Here's something new: .python-eggs - where the cache lives.

I'm not sure how it decides where to put it, but if you're like me and you built your deluge when logged in as a different user to the one that runs deluge because, well, why would you let your deluge user have sudo, when it comes to running deluge-web it will throw up errors about not being able to access the dir.

It seems important to build deluge as the user that will run it, then log in as root (or a user that can power up with sudo) to do the actual install.

It is also important to compile boost and all its little wizards in GCC4.2 - using 4.4 will compile but you won't be able to link to the boost-regex libs, which will make the libtorrent configure fail.

deluged itself dies after running for a bit with no hint in the debug logs as to why. I will report back when I have built it as the user who will run it.
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Spadge »

So far - no go on getting 1.3 to run without dumping python core.

But I did manage to get libtorrent15 installed, and deluge1.2.3 running off that.
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Spadge »

I got 1.3.0_rc1 to run stable using libtorrent15.0, so I'm a happy bunny.

There's something funny going on with deluge-web and the pidfile though: the pid put into the pidfile does not match the pid that the webui is running with, using the startup script from http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... =7&t=30715

**edit**
I take it back. It's started crashing for no apparent reason.
.faust
New User
New User

Post by .faust »

I build Deluge v1.3-rc1( libtorrent-rasterbar-0.14 ) on FreeBSD 8.0 with manual from first message and he is works.

I am build Deluge from root user ( login in to root, not sudo ) and run he from nobody user.
Pid files and config folder i save in the special folder with nobody rights.
Torrents downloads in the folder with nobody rights too.
Spadge wrote: There's something funny going on with deluge-web and the pidfile though: the pid put into the pidfile does not match the pid that the webui is running with, using the startup script from http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... =7&t=30715

Just stop Deluge, then remove *pid files and start Deluge. This bug is rare. He coming when delete some files in Deluge config folder(if delete something in config folder - delete *pid files too is a good idea).
Add post stop function with delete *pid files in the init script fix this bug.
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Post by Spadge »

I gave up - I'm using Transmission now instead.

It's not as good as deluge, but it works and is a lot easier to install/maintain on FreeBSD.