Feedback on Windows Port of Deluge 1.2 RC5

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
hordak
Leecher
Leecher

Feedback on Windows Port of Deluge 1.2 RC5

Post by hordak »

I switched my bittorent client usage from Utorrent to Deluge back in the 0.5 generation of deluge. The main needs were a client which used a low memory footprint that had an integrated RSS feed that was open sourced. I was afraid of the direction that Azureus and Utorrent had taken associating themselves with major corporate entities in the entertainment business.

In the 1.1 generation, many things were corrected over time that lead to a pretty stable client on the Windows XP platform. That is my wish for the new 1.2 generation.

Current issues:

1. Memory Footprint is too large right now in the GTK UI. It seems to be hogging too much CPU when seeding and downloading and causing my computer to crash. It seems to do much better when I run the Webui instead of the GTK UI.
2. No Integrated RSS Feeder. Flexget is not integrated with Deluge and its Deluge module does not work with Windows. There is a need for an integrated RSS plugin whether it be a rewrite of FlexRSS or an integrated version of FlexGet.
3. Auto add from one tab to another does not work in the WebUI in Firefox .
4. Properties dialog does not work in the WebUI in Explorer.
5. The only plugins that work in the WebUi are Execute and Scheduler. The rest of them do not work at all.

I was not going to take the plunge in upgrading from 1.1.9 to 1.2 until a suitable RSS feeder was available, but I got tired of waiting. All and all, this still is one of the best bittorent clients available. Kudos to the developers.
gazpachoking

Re: Feedback on Windows Port of Deluge 1.2 RC5

Post by gazpachoking »

hordak wrote: 2. No Integrated RSS Feeder. Flexget is not integrated with Deluge and its Deluge module does not work with Windows. There is a need for an integrated RSS plugin whether it be a rewrite of FlexRSS or an integrated version of FlexGet.
Well, just to be clear, the Flexget Deluge module does work on windows (that's what I'm using it on,) it's just really annoying getting deluge and it's dependencies installed to the system. (the windows package does not install into the system python, but rather into its own separate python environment)
EDIT: I've added a bit better guidance on getting it working at the wiki page.
Last edited by gazpachoking on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

gazpachoking wrote:
hordak wrote: 2. No Integrated RSS Feeder. Flexget is not integrated with Deluge and its Deluge module does not work with Windows. There is a need for an integrated RSS plugin whether it be a rewrite of FlexRSS or an integrated version of FlexGet.
Well, just to be clear, the Flexget Deluge module does work on windows (that's what I'm using it on,) it's just really annoying getting deluge and it's dependencies installed to the system. (the windows package does not install into the system python, but rather into its own separate python environment)
Before we switched to bbfreeze (back in 1.1.x), I was working on a windows installer that automatically determined what dependences you needed, downloaded them and installed them.
If there are still people interested, I could probably get it working for 1.2.x.

But more to the point, an integrated RSS plugin is the highest priority plugin for the next version of Deluge (after 1.2).
gazpachoking

Post by gazpachoking »

johnnyg wrote: Before we switched to bbfreeze (back in 1.1.x), I was working on a windows installer that automatically determined what dependences you needed, downloaded them and installed them.
If there are still people interested, I could probably get it working for 1.2.x.

But more to the point, an integrated RSS plugin is the highest priority plugin for the next version of Deluge (after 1.2).
Well, I would certainly appreciate it, not sure how many other people would need it after an integrated RSS plugin is available though. I, however, plan on sticking with Flexget; I am liking it more than any client integrated rss solutions I have used in the past.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

gazpachoking wrote:
johnnyg wrote: Before we switched to bbfreeze (back in 1.1.x), I was working on a windows installer that automatically determined what dependences you needed, downloaded them and installed them.

Well, I would certainly appreciate it, not sure how many other people would need it after an integrated RSS plugin is available though. I, however, plan on sticking with Flexget; I am liking it more than any client integrated rss solutions I have used in the past.
Is there any possibility of integrating Flexget into a Deluge plugin?
gazpachoking

Post by gazpachoking »

andar wrote: Is there any possibility of integrating Flexget into a Deluge plugin?
Yeah, that is an interesting idea. I think it could be done, I'll try to figure a good way to accomplish it.