File check, hash check Can it be skipped?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Bmflufff
New User
New User

File check, hash check Can it be skipped?

Post by Bmflufff »

Hi folks,

File check, hash check Can it be skipped? as when uploading large files it takes ages to check, can this be skipped and just seed straight away like u can with utorrent?

sweet app btw well done

Bum :D
AK69

Re: File check, hash check Can it be skipped?

Post by AK69 »

Hello,

I also would like to say, that this skipping would be very nice thing, and as I remember in one version of deluge-torrent, on start-up no checking were made.
And of course I want to thank you for your work in this open source project, and I hope that the idea about possibility to categorize torrents would be realised soon.

Thank you!
runeks

Post by runeks »

Hashing shouldn't be skipped IMO, since you risk sending corrupt data to users, this uses unnecessary bandwidth.

But, for the upload of larger files to start faster one could imagine Deluge comparing hashes not from the start of the file to the end, but based on which data pieces it wants to send.

Ie. Deluge starts and finds out which pieces someone is requesting and then does a hash check on that piece before sending it. It marks that piece as good if it matches and tries to redownload it if it doesn't match. Ie. a non-linear order of hashing based on which pieces are requested by peers.
loki

Post by loki »

runeks wrote:Hashing shouldn't be skipped IMO, since you risk sending corrupt data to users, this uses unnecessary bandwidth.

But, for the upload of larger files to start faster one could imagine Deluge comparing hashes not from the start of the file to the end, but based on which data pieces it wants to send.

Ie. Deluge starts and finds out which pieces someone is requesting and then does a hash check on that piece before sending it. It marks that piece as good if it matches and tries to redownload it if it doesn't match. Ie. a non-linear order of hashing based on which pieces are requested by peers.
That sounds a lot like super-seeding... except with the added step of course.
Bmflufff
New User
New User

Post by Bmflufff »

Any update on this is hash checking is going to be added? not need is you know u have all the files, say a 4gb dvdr
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

hash checking can't be skipped however files should only get checked if deluge didn't shutdown properly or if you start downloading a file to a location where a file of the same name exists.
kingfishr

Post by kingfishr »

I find that when deluge starts up it picks (seemingly) random torrents (usually ones that are done downloading) and checks them, even though I always exit the client normally. This is pretty annoying, especially if it picks some 15 or 20Gb torrents. It is an improvement though; a few versions ago I remember it used to check all of the files every time. It would be nice if this would be fixed, though.
LordS

Post by LordS »

I know I'm new but I've been watching deluge and used it several times when trying new distro's and this feature would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing is more frustrating than finally finishing downloading something, and then as you go to seed it elsewhere (new .torrent) it has to sit there and check. uTorrent's skip check works flawlessly and fast.
Rudde
New User
New User

Post by Rudde »

Deluge need a skip Hash check function :P
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

This will be available in libtorrent 0.15, so I will try to add this option to Deluge 1.3.