Choked or Snubbed

Shabakthanai
New User
New User

Choked or Snubbed

Post by Shabakthanai »

Is there a way to find out if you are being choked or snubbed. I at least upload the data that I can use; many times I let the upload run until an amount perhaps twice that which I downloaded. I do that when the information is taken rapidly, so that those who want it can be supplied.

But when I have nothing downloading and half dozen files uploading at perhaps 5 or 10kbps combined, I don't bother exceeding the return of what I download and use. It wastes my monitor life, and the electricity to run the system when uploading at trickling speeds. The monitor only lasts so long.

My ISP restricts my upload speed, not me. When Downloading I would not mind if upload and download speeds were exactly the same. That way I would serve the swarm properly and still get my downloads at a fair pace. Right now, there are several downloads that I want to make and nothing is downloading. I believe it is because I terminated the upload of two files, one that was password protected and another that I could not understand the language. I couldn't use them, so I did not want to upload them. I am able to download updates and upgrades and even new programs at a rate of over 300kpbs, while nothing is currently downloading from entertainment provided data, and there are several seeds showing.

If anyone understands the reason for this, I would really appreciate understanding what is going on and why it is like this. I am sure there are many who would like this information. Thank you in advance.
loki

Re: Choked or Snubbed

Post by loki »

Please don't post same or very similar topics in the same forum, it only leads to more clutter.

Chocked or snubbed is a per torrent basis, the only way to check was with utorrent since it had flags for such things, I would like deluge to have such a feature some day. In other words stopping one torrent shouldn't affect others. Interestingly, if you are part of a private tracker, this could explain why... say the tracker requires you to upload for a certain time constraint or upload ratio then if you disregard those rules or outright violate them they will disable you downloading other files temporarily or permanently, it varies from site to site. And it almost always only applies to torrents that you've finished downloading.

(I somewhat doubt this is the case since most private sites have very good control of well represented, non-password files. And if not, it's probably not worth being part of their private tracker.)