Torrents active only when network/keyboard/mouse idle?

marksmithurbana

Torrents active only when network/keyboard/mouse idle?

Post by marksmithurbana »

Hi,

First of all, i love deluge. Thanks so much, it's lightweight and great!

One question: When any of my torrents are d/ling or u/ling, my web browsing slows down significantly. It's very annoying but I know my ISP throttles traffic due to using bittorrent. So is there anyway deluge can automatically pause all torrents when I'm using my machine, and restart when I'm away? I think this can be triggered by one of two events:

-Network activity
-Keyboard/mouse activity

Unfortunately both of these events are tightly coupled to your OS/window mgr, so not sure how easy this would be. It would be great, however.. Currently I try to use the Scheduler plugin but that's time based and I have to keep tweaking it to my sleep/weekend schedule.

Thanks,
Mark
jesperl

Re: Torrents active only when network/keyboard/mouse idle?

Post by jesperl »

marksmithurbana wrote:One question: When any of my torrents are d/ling or u/ling, my web browsing slows down significantly. It's very annoying but I know my ISP throttles traffic due to using bittorrent.
Are you sure that your ISP is throttling your overall connection speed? The bandwidth used by torrents is taken from other tasks, including your web browsing. You can put an upper bound on the download and upload speed used by deluge.
marksmithurbana wrote: So is there anyway deluge can automatically pause all torrents when I'm using my machine, and restart when I'm away? I think this can be triggered by one of two events:
A better solution is QoS so that deluge is allowed to use the remaining capacity at any time (that is, deluge gets a lower priority than your other tasks like web browising, IM, email, etc). You need a router which supports QoS and some effort in setting it up.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

Yes using QoS is th best solution.
You mentioned the scheduler which means that you're running an older version of deluge (the latest version doesn't have a scheduler but has options for help setting up QoS)
marksmithurbana

Post by marksmithurbana »

I agree, QoS sounds like the best solution.

I'm running Ubuntu, it appears the latest version for production Ubunutu (intrepid) is 0.5.9.3-1
The latest version for beta (jaunty) is 1.1.6

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... ection=all

Guess I'll wait till Ubuntu's jaunty gets upgraded to production or wait for intrepid's version of deluge to get upgraded.

Thanks for your help!
vexii

Post by vexii »

I'm currently running Deluge 1.1.6 on Hardy. I'm too impatient to wait for a new version to appear in the Ubuntu universe, so here's what I do:
- Uninstall the old version of Deluge with Synaptic.
- Close Synaptic.
- Download new version from www.getdeb.net 1.1.6 is in http://www.getdeb.net/release/4144
- Install it with GDebi.
- Enjoy.

I've done this three times so far, always w/o any problems. The settings and torrents are not lost.