Release Candidate for a new Windows installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
jesperl

Release Candidate for a new Windows installer

Post by jesperl »

I have been working with andar to create a new, and hopefully improved, Windows installer.

The installer for 1.1.4 will be a release candidate so that the Deluge Windows community can test it on various configurations (I have no access to Vista machines for example, only 32-bit XP Home). If there are no significant problems, there will be regular Windows releases starting with 1.1.5.

Please download RC2 here: http://download.deluge-torrent.org/wind ... up-RC2.exe

Changelog from RC1 to RC2:
  • Updates DLLs included with installer so that it also works with GTK+ 2.14 runtime which is used by Pidgin.
A few quick release notes:
  • Please uninstall the previous Windows version of Deluge (1.1.0 or earlier) before using this installer. This will not be necessary in the future when upgrading between versions. If you have the GTK+ 2.10 runtime installed, this needs to be removed manually since Deluge 1.1 requires GTK+ 2.12.
  • The new installer will check whether you have the GTK+ 2.12 runtime installed. If the GTK+ runtime is not installed, the GTK+ installer will be downloaded automatically and executed as part of the Deluge installer. Since you only need to do this the first time, we can keep the size of the Deluge installer down to about 9-10 Mb. This should make upgrades faster.
  • The RC1 installer is compiled from the Deluge 1.1.4 source, except that two minor bugs have been corrected (one of which only affected Windows).
  • The default install location is %ProgramFiles%\Deluge, but this can be changed by the user. The same installer should work on 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
  • The installer is created with NSIS which is used by a lot of programs. Just follow the instructions. The installer sets up a file association for .torrent files, so that new torrents can be added by double-clicking on them.
Please post comments in this thread. :)
Last edited by jesperl on Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flak
New User
New User

Re: Release Candidate for a new Windows installer

Post by Flak »

Installer worked without error on Vista 64bit SP1 and Vista 64bit SP2 RC.
loki

Post by loki »

(hope you don't mind I edited out the download link to your website since the file was on here)

The installer worked for me Vista x64 sp1, however it seems it wouldn't run with gtk 2.14 from pidgin installer, luckily pidgin works with gtk 2.12.
I haven't ran a thorough test through everything yet, but it works at least...
sleepwalker

Post by sleepwalker »

I can confirm that it works just hunky dory on an XP SP3 x86. No bugs or anything. I shall test it later today at home on Windows 7 build 7048 x86, although I think there won't be any problems either.

One thing I saw, though: the %appdata%\deluge folder needs to be deleted before running the 1.1.4 Windows build. Except for that, no problems at all. Congrats, dude, this rocks! :D
hordak
Leecher
Leecher

Post by hordak »

The only issue that I am having with this release relates to the "Un-official FlexRSS Plugin for 1.x" not working correctly with this release. When I set a filter and subsequently refresh a feed, the feed fails to download the file and does not pickup subsequent files in the feed. I can manually download files fine through the plugin. Not sure if the plugin is now out of date with the current dependencies. One of these day, it should return to the standard suit of plugins (like blocklist and label).

Otherwise, this software works on Windows XP V3 32 Bit.

One minor note for downloading via Firefox, set it to download using application C:\Program Files\Deluge\Deluge-Python\Deluge.exe instead of the cmd file.

Note, the webui also works.
jesperl

Post by jesperl »

hordak wrote:One minor note for downloading via Firefox, set it to download using application C:\Program Files\Deluge\Deluge-Python
\Deluge.exe instead of the cmd file.
What do you think would be the advantage of that?

Firefox uses the Windows .torrent association which is set to open the file with deluge.cmd (there is no special Firefox setup in the installer).

If I change that to deluge.exe, I get exactly the same behavior. A cmd windows opens and disappears right away.

The basic idea of the cmd file is to prevent hanging cmd windows when you start deluge multiple times.
hordak
Leecher
Leecher

Post by hordak »

I originally set firefox up to open .torrent files with deluge.cmd, and it would not work. My only purpose in testing this approach was to get firefox to download torrents to the client.

I am just stating what works for me. Your mileage may vary.
jesperl

Post by jesperl »

hordak wrote:I originally set firefox up to open .torrent files with deluge.cmd, and it would not work. My only purpose in testing this approach was to get firefox to download torrents to the client.

I am just stating what works for me. Your mileage may vary.
Sure, but you shouldn't need to do anything in Firefox. What happens if you just let Firefox use the default Windows file association? Just delete the mime type in FF, and it will pick the default Windows association the next time (ask you first).

Under mime types I have: Bittorrent.File use Deluge (standard)

I did my tests by hacking the registry to mimic what the installer does.

But.... you gave me an idea that I might avoid the cmd window (which appears briefly), even though that was not your point.
loki

Post by loki »

Oddly enough I found that my FF when choosing open in default torrent application says it fails and to try downloading file, when I set it to specifically use deluge.cmd or deluge.exe it works just fine. Which is a lot better than I can say about older 1.x versions.

Another bit of info I just noticed, upon closing and reopening it appears as though it remembers all the widths of the columns and the sort method on the peers tab, maybe just need the sort method on the files tab to be remembered now. Good job on this one, btw.
jesperl

Post by jesperl »

hordak wrote:I originally set firefox up to open .torrent files with deluge.cmd, and it would not work. My only purpose in testing this approach was to get firefox to download torrents to the client.
Btw, there really shouldn't be any difference between deluge.exe and deluge.cmd since the latter is just a wrapper for the .exe