UPnP

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
zoof

UPnP

Post by zoof »

Hi,

Is it possible to have Deluge close UPnP ports when it is shut down? Leaving them open can be problematic if Deluge is set to randomly select a port but doesn't close it when it is finished.

Thanks!
Aqualung

Re: UPnP

Post by Aqualung »

zoof wrote:Is it possible to have Deluge close UPnP ports when it is shut down? Leaving them open can be problematic if Deluge is set to randomly select a port but doesn't close it when it is finished.
I'd, frankly, be happy if Deluge opened UPnP ports when it needs them :lol: , however that hasn't happened in my case (running Deluge 1.0.5). And yes, my recollection is that full UPnP compliance entails that the ports are to be closed once the program has stopped using them.

I am becoming more and more convinced that Deluge needs a little more work at the UPnP chapter.
cbrigstocke

Post by cbrigstocke »

My UPnP didn't work at first but now it does. It also turns out my router isn't great when it comes to UPnP. It needs to be completely reset every so often. I need to wipe the settings and return them to the factory defaults. Fortunately it lets me restore my settings so I don't have to go in there and set it by hand every time.
-cbrigstocke
Aqualung

Post by Aqualung »

cbrigstocke wrote:My UPnP didn't work at first but now it does. It also turns out my router isn't great when it comes to UPnP. It needs to be completely reset every so often. I need to wipe the settings and return them to the factory defaults. Fortunately it lets me restore my settings so I don't have to go in there and set it by hand every time.
You may want to look for a firmware update :)

Anyway, in my case the trouble is that it's only Deluge that doesn't forward its UPnP ports: both uTorrent and Transmission have no problem in this respect.
cbrigstocke

Post by cbrigstocke »

Aqualung wrote:You may want to look for a firmware update :)
Just took a look and unfortunately I already have the latest firmware. :(
Hopefully it'll get fixed somewhere down the road.
-cbrigstocke
r1348
New User
New User

Post by r1348 »

zoof wrote:Hi,

Is it possible to have Deluge close UPnP ports when it is shut down? Leaving them open can be problematic if Deluge is set to randomly select a port but doesn't close it when it is finished.

Thanks!
I totally second this: using deluge with upnp and random ports will very soon make your router's forwarding port table full of cruft (and lot of open ports left!!!).
jhf
New User
New User

Post by jhf »

Funny, I'm seeing almost the opposite problem: the UPnP port mappings keep expiring.

I'm using linux-igd* on my router, which has the default expiration for port mappings that don't specify one as 1 day, but the UPnP mappings Deluge creates expire after exactly one hour. This suggests that Deluge is specifying a 3600 second expiry, but isn't updating the "lease" to keep the port open.

* (http://linux-igd.sourceforge.net/)

I suppose it could be a bug in linux-igd. Frostwire gets a one day expiry, tho.

With debugging on in linux-idg, you can see the one hour limit to the mapping:

Code: Select all

Feb  5 21:08:44 myhost upnpd[7601]: ScheduleMappingExpiration: DevUDN: uuid:75802409-bccb-40e7-8e6c-fa095ecce13e ServiceID: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:WANIPConn1 Proto: TCP ExtPort: YYYYY Int: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.YYYYY at: Thu Feb  5 22:08:44 2009#012 eventId: 0
If I toggle UPnP off in the prefs and hit Apply, Deluge will unmap the ports (even if they've expired); toggle it again and Apply and it'll map them again. Having to do this once an hour sucks, though.
fizyk

Post by fizyk »

Aqualung wrote: I'd, frankly, be happy if Deluge opened UPnP ports when it needs them :lol:
I'd be happy as well.
r1348
New User
New User

Post by r1348 »

I opened a ticket about this 2 weeks ago, you can find it here: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/884. So far, it didn't get any answer, maybe it would get more attention if more users would contribute to it with their specific case regarding this issue. Thanks!
teohhanhui

Post by teohhanhui »

UPnP in Deluge STILL doesn't work for me. No entry is made on the port mapping table at all. Since Transmission is also open source I believe it should be possible to take something useful out of their UPnP implementation.

Deluge is not alone though. eMule fails at this as well. I would think that the UPnP support in µTorrent is very good because the developer actually spent much effort in analyzing Wireshark live packet captures collected from users.