Slow speed with no download limits

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
fkereki
New User
New User

Slow speed with no download limits

Post by fkereki »

I'm worried by the low, low speed of version 1.0.3. I set Deluge to use up ALL available bandwidth, and it is about 4-5 times SLOWER than version 0.5. What can I change? Usually, with my not-so-great ADSL connection, I managed 150 Kib/s; now I'm barely up to 30 -- a huge step backward!

I once even wrote ( http://www.linux.com/feature/123253 ) an article on Deluge, ending with "There are dozens of BitTorrent clients available, but if you're looking for one that both is powerful and has a small footprint, consider Deluge." Now, I wouldn't recommend Deluge to anybody -- it's easily at the bottom of the list in terms of speed! Why is that so? And, more important... what can I do?

Thanks!
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Slow speed with no download limits

Post by johnnyg »

Don't max out all your connections - this will cause slows downloads.
Did you do a fresh install of 1.0.3 or was it an upgrade? 1.0.3 should have had sane default values (as opposed to unlimited).
Use the settings indicated here: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq# ... shouldIuse as a starting point.
You should also have a read of this which explains why you may notice a speed difference between 0.5 and 1.0.
fkereki
New User
New User

Post by fkereki »

Sorry, but I'm not buying this. I deleted all the configuration files after getting such bad results, installed Deluge again, and got the default parameters suggested at the link. I set the maximum connections to 100 (and then even to 50), and the upload speed to 3 maximum, and total speed is still about one fourth or one fifth of what it used to be.

I don't believe either that this is a matter of taking overhead into account -- the fact is that it took about 8 hours to download something that used to take just a bit over an hour. And, I did several experiments, on different days, and it was always the same. (Unhappily, the graph plugin isn't there, though the site says all plugins are included with the client... what gives?)

So, I'm guessing the real problem is that somebody goofed up quite seriously when doing the big code changes from version 0.5 to 1.0, and that isn't being accepted... Face it, Deluge went from being the top program in terms of speed, to being the worst of the pile! Since I started having so many problems with Deluge, I went back to old alternatives like KTorrent, which now shines in comparison (!!!).

Please, do give this problem a look, and stop blaming the "protocol overhead" -- that cannot be causing such a slowdown.
fkereki
New User
New User

Post by fkereki »

As a further test, I tried setting both the download and upload limits to "maximum", and I could only get the download speed up to 50 kibs -- one third of what I used to get.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

fkereki wrote:As a further test, I tried setting both the download and upload limits to "maximum", and I could only get the download speed up to 50 kibs -- one third of what I used to get.
Saturating your upstream will give you poor download speeds.
mrbrdo

Post by mrbrdo »

I had this problem also. I deleted all conf files and all torrents and for now it seems to be working better.
But still, i don't think if you are seeding like 20 torrents your download speed should go down like that (it doesn't happen in uTorrent, torrentflux...) - btw i did set the upload speed limit, didn't help.
fkereki
New User
New User

Post by fkereki »

I did delete all configuration files (see above) and I worked with just ONE or TWO downloads at the same time. I tried both maximizing and minimizing the upload top speed, while keeping the download top speed at the maximum.

The best download speed I could get was about a third of what I used to get with version 0.5 -- and I'm measuring it by the download time, and not by whatever it says on screen: downloads that were finished in an hour, now take at least three hours to finish.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

fkereki wrote:I did delete all configuration files (see above) and I worked with just ONE or TWO downloads at the same time. I tried both maximizing and minimizing the upload top speed, while keeping the download top speed at the maximum.

The best download speed I could get was about a third of what I used to get with version 0.5 -- and I'm measuring it by the download time, and not by whatever it says on screen: downloads that were finished in an hour, now take at least three hours to finish.
Perhaps your upstream limit is too restricted and it's causing your download speed to suffer.. You should be allocating at least 5% of your expected download speed for your upload limit.
fkereki
New User
New User

Post by fkereki »

andar wrote:
fkereki wrote:I did delete all configuration files (see above) and I worked with just ONE or TWO downloads at the same time. I tried both maximizing and minimizing the upload top speed, while keeping the download top speed at the maximum.
Perhaps your upstream limit is too restricted and it's causing your download speed to suffer.. You should be allocating at least 5% of your expected download speed for your upload limit.
When I set the upload speed to maximum, it was 10% of the download speed (my ADSL is really quite Asymmetric!) and results were as bad as in other cases.

What bothers me the most is that Deluge 0.5 worked excellently well, and I cannot get even close to it with Deluge 1.0.... :x
banana989
New User
New User

Post by banana989 »

Unfortunately I am having the same problems. Not to offend, but I doubt that "overheads" are going to cause me speed differences like 750KB/s on Transmission to 40KB/s on Deluge with the same set of torrents. Not a scientific test mind you, but things should be closer than that. I deleted my entire Deluge configuration in hopes that would fix it too.

I too have great respect for this client and would normally move on without any sort of feedback. There is something wrong for an (apparently) small group of people using this client. There must be something common with this group, though I couldn't say what it is.