thin client

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
nickeh

thin client

Post by nickeh »

I have been trying to find out if there is a way to use the gtk ui on a remote computer to control a deluge daemon running on my server but the only thing i find is webui information.
So is there a way to do this and if there isn't that would be a great feature for future releases.

Recently i put my stationary computer away and run it more like a fileserver. But using my laptop for downloading torrents is really hard on the ratio because of sleep mode and not beeing able to have it connected 24/7 since i have to take it with me from the appartment frome time to time.

So is ther a sulotion using deluge. Azures has something that seems interesting but i would rather use deluge for this....
danii
Seeder
Seeder

Re: thin client

Post by danii »

in Preferences->Daemon enable the Allow Remote Connections you should be able to connect a gtkui from your laptop to the daemon running in the server
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

1. "Preferences->Daemon", enable "Allow Remote Connections".
  2. "Preferences->Interface", untick "Classic mode".
  3. Restart deluge.
Now every time you start deluge you'll be prompted with the connection manager.
  1. Simply specify the server on which deluge is running.
  2. Under "Options", select "Automatically connect to selected host on start-up".
  3. Under "Options", select "Do no show this dialog on start-up".
Now everytime you run deluge (gtk ui) it will look and feel like you're running it normally (locally) however you're in fact controlling the remote daemon ;)

Note: using the gtk ui over a LAN is fine, however for controlling deluge over the internet, it is best to use the web ui (unless you set up a ssh tunnel). In fact I would recommend you don't allow people outside your network access to deluge's daemon.

You might also find this topic useful: http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... f=7&t=3185
nickeh

Post by nickeh »

I finally got it up and running! This is great, have been searching for something like this for ages. No webui with copy paste links to torrents etc. Just klick the file and open it!!

However i experience that deluge dosn't upload as much as azureus that i used before the switch. The active port reports to be open and the trackers i am using are reporting me as connectable.
Just seem like i get less uploads now. Many times i see someone connect, start download for a few seconds and then stops.

Maybe i just have chosen bad torrents for uploading but is there any known issues about this?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

no known reports, I'd say it's just the torrent.
what are your settings (in particular upload slots and upload speed)?
nickeh

Post by nickeh »

johnnyg wrote:no known reports, I'd say it's just the torrent.
what are your settings (in particular upload slots and upload speed)?
I have 10 mbits upstream and 100 down. So i had unlimited for a while. But now i am trying to set the limits but qute high to se if theres any change. But probably its just bad torrents for uploading. Will let them run, now that i can have the server doing my seeding its no problem! :)
Mindzai

Post by Mindzai »

I'm using deluge as a thin client on both linux and windows machines to talk to a linux server and I can report normal upload speeds from both.