Problem (bug?): files and dirs don't open

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
DaVince

Problem (bug?): files and dirs don't open

Post by DaVince »

Hello everyone,

I seem to be having a problem opening files and direcctories with Deluge on my XUbuntu 8.10 machine: whenever I'm not in Xfce but a different window manager (I've really taken a liking to LXDE now), Deluge will simply ignore any external commands it's supposed to give: I right-click a torrent and select "open directory" and it never does this. Also, file associations seem to be wrong: AVIs open with MPlayer instead of my preferred (in Thunar) SMPlayer, some other manually registered formats don't open at all...

Does Deluge depend on something special for its file associations, like Gnome? I don't have Gnome and most of its tools (like Nautilus) to save on space, but if it uses the wrong file associations... Or is this rather a problem wiith Thunar not obeying standards for keeping default file types?

Lastly, opening directories seems fine inside Xfce. Something to do with "launching the default file browser" maybe?

A solution (or fix, if applicable!) would be appreciated... Right now I'm stuck manually opening the directory where the downloaded files are to open them!
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Problem (bug?): files and dirs don't open

Post by andar »

DaVince wrote:Hello everyone,

I seem to be having a problem opening files and direcctories with Deluge on my XUbuntu 8.10 machine: whenever I'm not in Xfce but a different window manager (I've really taken a liking to LXDE now), Deluge will simply ignore any external commands it's supposed to give: I right-click a torrent and select "open directory" and it never does this. Also, file associations seem to be wrong: AVIs open with MPlayer instead of my preferred (in Thunar) SMPlayer, some other manually registered formats don't open at all...

Does Deluge depend on something special for its file associations, like Gnome? I don't have Gnome and most of its tools (like Nautilus) to save on space, but if it uses the wrong file associations... Or is this rather a problem wiith Thunar not obeying standards for keeping default file types?

Lastly, opening directories seems fine inside Xfce. Something to do with "launching the default file browser" maybe?

A solution (or fix, if applicable!) would be appreciated... Right now I'm stuck manually opening the directory where the downloaded files are to open them!
Deluge uses 'xdg-open' to open files/folders. Perhaps you could simply redirect this command to Thunar?

Code: Select all

# ln -fs /usr/bin/thunar /usr/bin/xdg-open
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

or install xdg-utils. it works fine with xfce and wont add lots of dependencies
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

Aha! Looks like the problem lies with xdg-open which I already had installed (from xdg-utils):

- Opening an AVI runs MPlayer.
- Opening a directory returns this:

Warning: unknown mime-type for "/home/vincent/" -- using "application/octet-stream"
Error: no "view" mailcap rules found for type "application/octet-stream"
- Opening an MKV (Matroska) fails in a similar fashion.
- Opening an image I associated to image viewer #1 opens with default viewer #2
I guess Thunar is at fault here for not accepting file association changes into xdg-open's settings.

I only have these questions: is there a tool to set the default applications that xg-open tries to use, or a way to use Thunar's settings for this? Otherwise, is there a config file for xdg-open for this somewhere?
Deluge uses 'xdg-open' to open files/folders. Perhaps you could simply redirect this command to Thunar?
Making a global link to just Thunar would work, I just tried to make Thunar run whatever file and it works great. But I'm not sure if I want to replace the real xdg-open with Thunar, it could possibly mess things up for other apps, right? Unless you can guarantee it's safe to do...

EDIT: I found the commandline tool xdg-mime which can help me with some of the filetypes, but for files marked as "application/octet-stream" I can't do a thing of course. This is quite troublesome! Well, at least some of the file types open with the right apps now.

EDIT 2: right, after adding the following lines I can now open directories and binary files with no problem:

xdg-mime default /usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop application/x-not-regular-file
xdg-mime default /usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop application/octet-stream