davidr
New User
New User

Progress bar goes backwards!

Post by davidr »

Hi,
I'm new to Deluge and this group - hi. I would like to ask a few q's please:
Ubuntu Hardy, Deluge 1.06

1. When I restart Deluge and Restart downloading, my download bar goes backwards as peers start to communicate. This morning I went from 44.6% completed winding back to 28.8% before downloading resumed - presumably (from my ISP usage) downloading what had already been downloaded. Any ideas please?

2. Is there a manual on the gui I can read describing the meaning of things - like Peers/Seeds 2(32) tells me ... ? I also don't understand a lot of the terminology and why there are global and torrent settings options ... I find I seed a lot more than I download and as I pay for my uploading it gets too much out of proportion (backwards Aussie internet).

3. Why can Azureus and Transmission find peers to download from but Deluge is doing nothing? Yes, there is a lot I need to read about my settings, perhaps?

Sorry about the flood of q's that to most of you are second nature. I'm new to p2p and want to learn more ... something to read about Deluge will prevent questions, methinks :-)

Many thanks,
David
loki

Re: Progress bar goes backwards!

Post by loki »

You can check the FAQ to answer some of those Q's... the development faq, http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq

I don't know about the progress bar going backwards, perhaps it was checking the file and it found incomplete chunks?

And as far as finding peers the big one is make sure you have the port forwarded properly, the past few versions upnp hasn't been working properly for some.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

davidr wrote:Hi,
I'm new to Deluge and this group - hi. I would like to ask a few q's please:
Ubuntu Hardy, Deluge 1.06

1. When I restart Deluge and Restart downloading, my download bar goes backwards as peers start to communicate. This morning I went from 44.6% completed winding back to 28.8% before downloading resumed - presumably (from my ISP usage) downloading what had already been downloaded. Any ideas please?
try right-clicking on the the torrent and hitting force-recheck.
did you shutdown deluge normally?
davidr wrote: 2. Is there a manual on the gui I can read describing the meaning of things - like Peers/Seeds 2(32) tells me ... ? I also don't understand a lot of the terminology and why there are global and torrent settings options ... I find I seed a lot more than I download and as I pay for my uploading it gets too much out of proportion (backwards Aussie internet).
Leechers (aka peers) are other people downloading the file(s), seeders are people who already have all of the file(s).
As a leecher you will be downloading new bits of the file(s) as well as uploading the current bits you have.
As a seeder you are just uploading the bits to other people.
The health of a torrent is normally judged on the seeder to leecher ratio (higher ratio is better).
For the number is in parantheses see: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq# ... thesesmean

Global settings allow you to specify maximum limits such as maximum connections, maximum upload speed.
Torrent options allow you to specify the specific settings for a torrent, but it still obeys the global settings.

You can specify the amount of time a torrent is seeded before it is removed (Preferences->Queue).
I would suggest however that you set an appropriate upload speed: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Faq# ... shouldIuse
davidr wrote: 3. Why can Azureus and Transmission find peers to download from but Deluge is doing nothing? Yes, there is a lot I need to read about my settings, perhaps?
Try enabling Peer Exchange, LSD & DHT (all under Preferences->Network).
As loki suggest I would also double check that your incoming port is open.
davidr wrote: Sorry about the flood of q's that to most of you are second nature. I'm new to p2p and want to learn more ... something to read about Deluge will prevent questions, methinks :-)

Many thanks,
David
No worries, you can start by reading the wikipedia article on bittorrent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)
as well as just perusing the FAQ.
davidr
New User
New User

Post by davidr »

Thanks very much to both johnnyg and loki. :-)

I did read the daq (but not the wikipaedia one) - before I posted. Unfortunately it, naturally, assumes understanding of the basics.

But you have helped a lot - thanks!

David