[SOLVED] Deluge and wireless disconnects

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
mattb
New User
New User

[SOLVED] Deluge and wireless disconnects

Post by mattb »

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with a curious problem on my machine? I originally posted a similar question in a forum for Wicd (as I use Wicd as my wireless connection manager), but no one responded. Hopefully Deluge forum users might have a better idea:

Basically, without fail, running Deluge suddenly causes my wireless connection to drop and then re-establish itself after half a minute or so. A similar thread was started over a year ago (http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... hilit=wifi), but was seemingly never resolved.

My system details are as follows:
Ubuntu 8.04 i386
Wicd 1.5.3
Netgear WG111v3 wireless USB dongle
Linksys WRT54GSv7 wireless router
Deluge 1.0.3

I believe I have the WG111v3 driver installed (ndiswrapper/”Windows Wireless Drivers”?) and I'm using "wext" as the Wicd WPA supplicant driver. Apart from running Deluge, my wireless connection is largely stable. Even once Deulge is loaded there are no problems....until I go to exit the application. Then the same thing happens! This problem has been going on since before Deluge 1.0.0 too IIRC.

It's almost like a particular connection request type, or a threshold of numbers of requests, is causing the problem. Does any one have any ideas? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd love to be able to run some command at the point the connection drops - just to see what's going on - but I don't know of a suitable one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to the devs too - Deluge is an otherwise excellent program.
Last edited by mattb on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharky
New User
New User

Re: Deluge and wireless disconnects

Post by Sharky »

I have the same problem and have a workaround ^_^

I have limited the connections to 225 for all torrents and 75 connections per torrent. Normally I don't download more than 3 torrents so everything works fine for me.

Hope this help for you.
mattb
New User
New User

Post by mattb »

Hi Sharky,

I followed an Azureus configuration guide some time ago (in the absence of a suitable Deulge article) - I already had only 197 max global connections but I have 118 per-torrent connections.

I'll try 75 per-torrent connections and see where that gets me. Thanks.

Interestingly the disconnects happen whether Deulge has anything to download/seed or not. Even opening the application with an empty queue causes the wireless to drop. I wonder if it's anything to do with the SafePeer plug in.....
ltr
New User
New User

Post by ltr »

Im having the same problem. I think it has to do particulary with our beloved linksys
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

mattb wrote:Interestingly the disconnects happen whether Deulge has anything to download/seed or not. Even opening the application with an empty queue causes the wireless to drop. I wonder if it's anything to do with the SafePeer plug in.....
Do you have DHT turned on? DHT will normally continue to add peers even when you're not downloading/uploading.
I would recommend turning DHT off and seeing if it stills causes wireless to disconnect.
Also by wireless connection do you mean the connection between you and the router drops or the connection between the router and the internet drops?
Having too high global connections for your router could cause the latter to occur but not the former.
mattb
New User
New User

Post by mattb »

As you suspected johnnyg DHT is indeed turned on with my configuration. I'll turn it off and see where that gets me. I've had a quick look through my router config screens and I don't believe it's possible to set global max connections. Within Deluge itself, my global max torrent connections is 197 and per torrent is set to -1 unlimited.

I have been experimenting a bit with this but, to be honest, I've just learned to live with it. By remembering to start Deluge when I log in - whether I need it or not - and not closing it until I log out, it is possible suffer the inconvenience. It's a pain when you're in the middle of something, want to start a torrent download, and realise there's no Deluge loaded though.

To clarify, it's almost certainly just the connection between my PC and the router. By that I mean both your suggestions could happen simultaneously, but as my connection to the router has disappeared (and I only have a single device on my wireless network) I've no proper way of checking the connectivity between router and modem. Anecdotally, "all the lights stay on", suggesting the router is still talking to the modem, but that's pretty poor problem determination I admit! :)

I must confess to having tried A.N. Other bittorrent client (Azureus/Vuze) to see if the problem persisted too. I'm happy to report that Azureus did exactly the same thing as Deluge; so it's almost certainly not a coding/software problem. It's just something about starting a connection-intensive package causes the connection to wobble.
mattb
New User
New User

Post by mattb »

I think I've cracked it.

It wasn't just DHT, but the answers were on the same Preferences -> Network tab. I first noticed that even unticking (or ticking) UPnP and clicking "apply" caused the connection to crash when Deluge was in full flow. So, through trial-and-error my Preferences -> Network box now has:

"Enable Mainline DHT" unticked. (On its own, this didn't cause disconnects at Deluge start up. But there were delayed phantom disconnects up to half a minute after closing Deluge when enabled.)
Network Extras "UPnP" unticked. (This was a killer as far as my connection was concerned. I'll come back to that below.)
Network Extras "LSD" unticked. (Rather unfortunately abbreviated and, on a wireless network of one PC, utterly utterly useless :) .)

I can now start, close and restart Deluge to my heart's content. Hopefully the loss of DHT, UPnP and acid won't affect my download speed too much!

Further to the UPnP stuff, I deliberately turned this service off on my wireless router as soon as I took it out of the box. I'd assumed that the conversation between the application and the router would be something like:

Deluge: "Hi, I'd like to make a UPnP request please."
Linksys: "Uh, I don't use that. Sorry you can't."
Deluge: "Oh, okay, never mind...."

However, the transaction seems to go as follows:
Deluge: "TAKE MY UPnP REQUEST NOW!"
Router: "I CAN'T....HELP....MEEE...<CLUNK - connection falls over>"

At least they both seem to be playing nicely now. I'll mark the post as [SOLVED] in a couple of days after I've tested it properly by the way.