"Do Not Download" doesn't work v 1.0.2 or 1.0.3

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
smwed
New User
New User

Re: "Do Not Download" doesn't work v 1.0.2

Post by smwed »

frijolie wrote: Are you referring to Full/Compact Allocation? According to my last post, I do have Full Allocation selected and it's set as the default selection for ALL torrents. If you're not referring to allocation then I don't know where the settings for "space reservations" are. Maybe what you're talking about is an error in translation. Thanks for trying to help and I'll go back to the drawing board.
Yes, Full Allocation.

I have done so:
1. del all torrents
2. set full allocation in main settings
3. In the Russian version is setting "give priority first and the last part of the torrent" - unset.
4 restart deluge
5. add torrent (check for full allocation), disabled downloading unwanted files
6. set priority for files

result in screenshot
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (168.99 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

try changing the file priority from don't download to normal and then back to don't download in the files tab and see if that makes a difference.
It could be that deluge isn't registering the changes done when adding.
Also have you tried this in deluge 1.0.3?
frijolie

Re: "Do Not Download" doesn't work v 1.0.2 or 1.0.3

Post by frijolie »

smwed wrote: I have done so:
1. del all torrents
2. set full allocation in main settings
3. In the Russian version is setting "give priority first and the last part of the torrent" - unset.
4 restart deluge
5. add torrent (check for full allocation), disabled downloading unwanted files
6. set priority for files
Yes, I have full allocation set and it was before I started downloading any and all of my torrents from the beginning of use. I also have "prioritize first and last pieces of torrent" (quoted from my English version) unchecked in my preferences.

Thanks for the screenshot, that was my point exactly! The proof is in the picture! Your screenshot summed up my frustration.

Before the torrent(s) start downloading, I select "Do Not Download" on files I do not want, as well as prioritize the individual files in the torrent. I make sure they're all set before anything is above 0.00% downloaded. Then, once it starts, I closely watch the percentages rise and it gets me that lower priority files often download faster (percentage-wise) than a higher priority file. Maybe it's just my (bad) luck or experience.

I have seen it explained that sometimes "files you don't want may be inbetween two files you do want" or something similar. I guess BitTorrent clients aren't smart enough to know which packets you want and which you don't. Am I safe to say this?

I can confirm that this issue is still present in version 1.0.3--as I've upgraded to it recently.
smwed
New User
New User

Post by smwed »

johnnyg wrote:try changing the file priority from don't download to normal and then back to don't download in the files tab and see if that makes a difference.
It could be that deluge isn't registering the changes done when adding.
Also have you tried this in deluge 1.0.3?
Here my operations step by step:

1. I add torrent with all files (http://smwed.narod.ru/scr1.png)
2. disabled downloading unwanted files (http://smwed.narod.ru/scr2.png)
3. set "addition in a pause state". And it is important! (http://smwed.narod.ru/scr3.png)
3.5 (check for full allocation)
4. files are added with the necessary priority (http://smwed.narod.ru/scr4.png)
5. I change priority for some files (http://smwed.narod.ru/scr5.png)
6. Resume downloading (http://smwed.narod.ru/scr6.png)

Downloading is started from a file with the higher priority (from a small file with the first pieces)

PS: My English absolutely bad? :oops:

PPS: The screenshot in the previous post has been made for a long time downloaded torrent, therefore there percent at all files
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

frijolie wrote:Before the torrent(s) start downloading, I select "Do Not Download" on files I do not want, as well as prioritize the individual files in the torrent. I make sure they're all set before anything is above 0.00% downloaded. Then, once it starts, I closely watch the percentages rise and it gets me that lower priority files often download faster (percentage-wise) than a higher priority file. Maybe it's just my (bad) luck or experience.
Try following the steps smwed posted or try adding the torrent and then changing the file priorities.
frijolie wrote: I have seen it explained that sometimes "files you don't want may be inbetween two files you do want" or something similar. I guess BitTorrent clients aren't smart enough to know which packets you want and which you don't. Am I safe to say this?
It's not about being smart, it's how the protocol works.
Contrary to the name, bittorrent downloads pieces of a torrent (normally each piece is 512KiB but it can vary - you can see the exact piece size on the statistics tab under Pieces).
So it's normal that two adjacent files have a common piece.
When deluge downloads a piece which belongs to two files, it creates the other file.
No other data is downloaded for the other file but it does appear in the download directory.
However you should never download more than a piece size of a torrent marked as "Don't download".
smwed wrote:PS: My English absolutely bad? :oops:
sorry, my fault for jumping in half way through the thread - I thought you were having similar problems, not trying to help.
frijolie

Re: "Do Not Download" doesn't work v 1.0.3

Post by frijolie »

johnnyg wrote:Try following the steps smwed posted or try adding the torrent and then changing the file priorities.
The only thing in those steps that I didn't do was "add in a paused state". Maybe that will make a difference?
johnnyg wrote: When deluge downloads a piece which belongs to two files, it creates the other file. No other data is downloaded for the other file but it does appear in the download directory.
If it were just "a piece" of another file then one would assume that it would download really fast especially if it were ~512kib. However, after all is downloaded, I can browse to the files that I've selected "Do Not Download" and view their contents (.txt flies, sample .avi files, etc...) so I know it downloaded the entire file not just a piece of it. Also, if you state that it just downloads a piece then what does it do with all of the fragments left over?

After you are done seeding it for hours on end and select "Remove Torrent" do they get removed then?
loki

Re: "Do Not Download" doesn't work v 1.0.3

Post by loki »

frijolie wrote:After you are done seeding it for hours on end and select "Remove Torrent" do they get removed then?
Only if you select "Remove Torrent" and "Delete Downloaded Files" or "All Files."