Plugin Submissions

Suggest, post, or discuss plugins for Deluge
SGSeries2

Plugin Submissions

Post by SGSeries2 »

What would you suggest to be the best way to submit/share a plugin, either for peer review or otherwise; either based on previous (now incompatible) plugin(s) or a newly created one?

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I just couldn't seem to find a good answer to this in the forums other than possibly an implied 'just post it', but I'd figured if this hadn't been asked, and it's not in the faq, might as well ask on the public forum. If I remember correctly, the development section says, 'make an egg and share it'. (Of course, it tells you how to do that much.)
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Plugin Submissions

Post by andar »

SGSeries2 wrote:What would you suggest to be the best way to submit/share a plugin, either for peer review or otherwise; either based on previous (now incompatible) plugin(s) or a newly created one?

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but I just couldn't seem to find a good answer to this in the forums other than possibly an implied 'just post it', but I'd figured if this hadn't been asked, and it's not in the faq, might as well ask on the public forum. If I remember correctly, the development section says, 'make an egg and share it'. (Of course, it tells you how to do that much.)
What I've wanted to do is create a sort of plugin portal page for plugin authors. The page would be a place for plugin authors to upload their plugins, use svn for development, documentation, etc.. In Deluge one would be able to interface with this site and automatically update plugins when new versions come available, plus it would allow users to download and install plugins directly from Deluge itself. This however would be a community effort, and it would require someone to build this system.
SGSeries2

Re: Plugin Submissions

Post by SGSeries2 »

That would be cool, but, yes, I can see how that would certainly require a bit of resources to implement. Since you mentioned it, I figured I'd take a look around and see what was out there in terms of a pre-packaged plugin distribution system, but I didn't see anything that struck my eye as useful without quite a bit of work. It almost seems like implementing a custom system would be the easiest way to do it, unfortunately.

Still, I'd feel like I'm re-inventing the wheel if I were to write such a thing, since I'm sure someone has to have done it before. Hard to believe there isn't some generic python plugin system / web-style frontend like firefox's other than maybe something custom-built around the egg-style infrastructure for a specific project.