Repository for Gutsy?

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
gelassen

Repository for Gutsy?

Post by gelassen »

Hi,

Is there a repository for Gutsy, so that deluge will automatically update itself via synaptic when a new version is released?

For example, audacious's repository looks like this:

Source: deb http://backports.dereferenced.org/ gutsy universe

When a new version of audacious is released, then the ubuntu update manager updates it very comfortably, so lets make this for deluge too, if its possible.

Thx in advance!
JayEm

Re: Repository for Gutsy?

Post by JayEm »

I support this suggestion. A repository is essential for GNU/Linux users - having to upgrade apps one by one is helplessly antiquated - that's what Winbloat users with restrictive licenses are stuck in. :o
gelassen

Post by gelassen »

It would be fine, if someone of the developers would give a statement about this topic, since this idea is very appreciated by some users, as well as in early topics.

Thx
JayEm

Post by JayEm »

Yea, wow - there's been three new versions in just a few days - that is great, let's see some updates, but pleeeeease, let's get them automated :)
bladebot

Post by bladebot »

Wonderful program.

Would be happy to see this included in the standard Ubuntu repositories.

Thank you,
-J
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

bladebot wrote:Wonderful program.

Would be happy to see this included in the standard Ubuntu repositories.

Thank you,
-J
it actually already is. it's in "universe", so you need to enable that (http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/sear ... ge-torrent). however, if you want the latest and greatest, you'll need to download that straight from us :)
gelassen

Post by gelassen »

Hi,

But isn't it also possible to build your personally repository, as we can see in my first post, where always the latest version of deluge is lying? Let the official Ubuntu repo be on his own, lets make an up to date one, like others do with their programs.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

gelassen wrote:Hi,

But isn't it also possible to build your personally repository, as we can see in my first post, where always the latest version of deluge is lying? Let the official Ubuntu repo be on his own, lets make an up to date one, like others do with their programs.
is it possible? yes. here's what the community really needs to understand: i am the sole person who maintains deluge 0.5 branch and this forum. it's just me. do i spend time on fixing things up on deluge and adding new features, or on a repository, even though we offer packages? there's another developer, andar, who's working on our next-gen, 0.6. so he's busy with that and we both have full time jobs. we cant do everything. it really comes down to priorities, and we understand that there's a desire for it, but we cant do everything.
gelassen

Post by gelassen »

Hi,

My Intention is not to force you and say that you must do this, it's only a suggestion, a feature that would be nice in future, because it will help spread deluge due to comfortability.

Your program is great, really, i love it and enjoy it. It's the best client out there for Linux. I really appreciate your work and admire your effort that you put in this wonderful project. My suggestion was not an offense or dealing out criticism about deluge, this feature could be nice, but it's not a "must do" at all. So gain serenity and spend your time on things, that you think they are important for you.

Thank you for this great piece of software!

PS: The new 0.5.7 deluge version (installed via .deb offered on HP) has a bug:
When I start deluge, the last 2 columns (Availability, Ratio) are activated again, of course they were deactivated before.