How can I make Deluge as fast as Azureus?

napster

How can I make Deluge as fast as Azureus?

Post by napster »

Hi I've been using Linux Ubuntu for a while with Azureus. And I used to get an average of 300-400 kB/sec within 20 seconds. Since Azureus stopped working on Ubuntu with their updates I tried out different BitTorrent clients. Deluge was the one that worked best.
But with Deluge I only average around 20-70 kB/sec within 20 seconds. If you wait 1 hour then maybe you can reach 100-200 kB/sec just maybe. Using the same upload/download speed as I did with Azureus.

Now I've been told that the reason that you could reach such high speed so quickly with Azureus is that it automatically *punches a hole* in your router and that was considered bad. But I don't mind a little security risks in favor for high speed transfer.
How can I make Deluge behave like Azureus that is *punch a hole* in my router so that it can have 300-400 kB/sec average within 20 seconds or so?
loki

Re: How can I make Deluge as fast as Azureus?

Post by loki »

Basically make sure it's configured properly, you forwarded the port through the router and make sure DHT is enabled and working.

I believe Azureus has some form of tracker, whereas Deluge does not.

Also, I don't know what Azureus does about multiple trackers, but Deluge follows the "official" protocol of only connecting to a single tracker at once.
napster

Post by napster »

I think I know how to portforward on my router but only 1 host at a time per service I don't think I know how to implement such a service rule on multiple hosts sharing Internet through the same router. (it's an old router)

Do you have any good Deluge guides or tutorials instructing me how to configure properly?
That also talk about DHT and how to make sure it's working as it should?

So what you're saying is that the more trackers a BitTorrent client connects to the more juice you can get from your bandwidth theoretically speaking?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

for setting up your router for port forwarding you can use the guide for utorrent over at portforward.com.
I'm not sure if anyone ended up emailing them about adding a guide for deluge.

If you go to Preferences->Network you can hit "Test active port" and it will tell you via a webpage if deluge is able to listen via that port.
You can also enable the Network Health Monitor plugin which will display in the status bar (down the very bottom) if everything's ok or not.
As for DHT, deluge should display in the status bar how many nodes are available.
napster

Post by napster »

Tnx for all the pointers! Can you take a look at the very end of this guide for me where they talk about
Send to LAN Server box. Can I enter my router's ip address in here so that Deluge can be port forwarded by all hosts connected to my router? Or does this guide say that I can only port forward Deluge for 1 host only on my LAN?
http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... efault.htm

If you go to Preferences->Network you can hit "Test active port" and it will tell you via a webpage if deluge is able to listen via that port.
Can you also explain this to me? The test showed this, how come I've been able to have BitTorrent traffic for so many years if my port wasn't open to begin with?

Code: Select all

TCP port 6881 closed on my_external_ipaddress

As for DHT, deluge should display in the status bar how many nodes are available.
Is 50 a good number? What's is the critical point for having bad,good,excellent DHT number?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

Try using this guide for utorrent (just ignore the beginning bit and the program name): http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... orrent.htm

but yes it only appears to forward to one host.

do you need to forward to multiple hosts?

what loki was saying earlier is that azureus may simultaneaously announce to multiple trackers which has nothing to do with port forwarding.
(deluge only announces to one tracker at a time - this is what the bittorrent protocol specifies.)

the port being closed is a bad sign, it could very well explain your bad speeds.
Azureus probably used UPnP to automatically forward your ports, maybe this is what you meant by "punching a hole in the router".
You can try enabling UPnP in deluge (Preferences->Network, Enable UPnP) then restarting deluge.
Note: either manually forward your ports or use UPnP, don't do both!

As for the for DHT numbers, I'm currently connected to 293 peers and that's with no torrents.
the numbers of DHT peers should go up the longer you're running the client.
I don't really know what the number should be, but at a guess I would say under 100 is bad, over 200 is good, and over 300 is excellent.
loki

Post by loki »

It's also a very good idea to use a higher port than the 6881-6889... ISP's like to watch those numbers and have been known to throttle traffic, like more in the 7000-8000 range would be more preferable, however you can go up to 65535. And if you have to forward a port it's also a good idea to choose a single port rather than a range i.e. set it to begin at port 7000 and end at port 7000.
napster

Post by napster »

Tnx johnnyg and loki your knowledge is gold worth!!
do you need to forward to multiple hosts?
We have shared Internet at home where everybody is fighting over 8 Mbit/sec downstream and 1 Mbit/sec upstream. It's the meager 1 Mbit/sec upstream that we are fighting over after work hours :) During that time Internet is basically crippled you can't even google at this time.
So yeah having a port forward rule that can cover 3 ips or so would be convenient then I can make up some rule at home where everybody has to book a certain time for their torrent usage. Instead of having to tweak the router each time a person needs a port forward. It's chaos over here I tell you :(

Since there's a war over bandwidth at our household some persons usually sneak to the other persons 'puter sometimes and changes values without telling. Do you have any guides that show different default settings for different occations in case my default values have been tampered with without my knowlegde?
I don't really know what values are default, good or bad in this tab.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

hmm you've got alot of maximum values there (-1).
for values, the best thing is to run the configuration wizard and specify your upload rate (upload rate is normally what limits people with bittorrent) and it will automatically set all the default values for your connection.
you could also use the scheduler plugin to throttle your speeds during on peak.
did you try enabling UPnP?
napster

Post by napster »

Nah UPnP didn't make any difference. I think this can only be solved with some manual port forwarding, but I do it later.
Also one of the hosts that use torrent traffic usually get their stuff from Asia and maybe that's why the health monitor says [No incoming connections] compared to getting traffic from outside of Asia...maybe. Because when there isn't any torrents from Asia I see [Health OK] and downloading Linux iso files usually goes with no lagging.

Another question portforward.com didn't explain this stuff clear enough. But which of these boxes should be checked and unchecked?

2nd update
Also it seems like my ISP is a lier. 8 Mbit/s Down, 1 Mbit/s Up myass. According to this speed testing site I'm not even close to the Deluge 1 Mbit Upload template.
3,455 Mbit/s Down, 489 kb/s Up. :o I have to use the Deluge 384 kb/s Upload template.
http://www.speedtest.net/

3rd update
All manual port forwarding has been setup successfully now and ip blocker (MoBlock) has been stopped. Still the download speed doesn't differ much from when my ports was blocked. Back 2 years ago with status like this Azureus could easily get around 300-400 kb/s within seconds. With Deluge and router fully configured I only reach 110 kb/s after 20 minutes or so. :?

seeders 10(88)
peers 18(306)
[DHT:205]
[Health: ok]

I'm so curious what the magic "Coca Cola" ingredient Azureus use that made this possible. Do you guys know where one can find theoretical information on how the torrent technology works, how to build it and what practical effects certain codes have for the end user? Me so curious need to know.
.....never mind I think I found the neccessary material on Wiki. Still if you have some links and info that Wiki doesn't have tell me please.