Bind VPN IP, But Connection Not Working

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
ss4johnny

Bind VPN IP, But Connection Not Working

Post by ss4johnny »

I am using Deluge 2.1.1 on Windows 10 currently. I have a VPN (PIA) with the killswitch engaged, but I've gotten three copyright notices in the past month or so, compared to basically never getting them unless I forget to turn it on.

I've heard that binding the VPN IP to Deluge can help prevent this. My understanding is that this means that all the traffic goes through the VPN on Deluge. The instructions I read said to go into Preferences/Network and then in Outgoing Interface put the Public IP for the VPN.

When I do this, however, I don't get any download/upload speeds at all. Is there a step I'm missing here? Or a step I'm doing wrong?

At the very least, I haven't gotten copyright notices when I've had it set up this way...but also not able to use Deluge either...

Thanks for any assistance.
ambipro

Re: Bind VPN IP, But Connection Not Working

Post by ambipro »

You'll need a VPN that supports port forwarding. Make sure whomever you choose explicitly says this, many of the popular mainstream VPNs do not.

There is a discussion going on in general about VPN's already if you want to look there.

viewtopic.php?p=237260#p237260

There's also plenty of other threads about this very thing (use search feature to find them)
ss4johnny

Post by ss4johnny »

Thanks for the reply.

I had not needed port forwarding in the past, but pretty sure PIA supports it. The thread you linked to says "PIA is another popular VPN provider that offers support for UDP torrent trackers through Socks5 (auth) proxy connections." Though that is something else beyond just normal port forwarding, I think.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Most implementations of simple socks5 do not support incoming connections. There may be another protocol on PIA that does, I don't know - I don't use them.