Runtime Error periodically crashing Deluge

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
AkariAkaza
New User
New User

Runtime Error periodically crashing Deluge

Post by AkariAkaza »

I've been running into random crashes getting the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error message similar to this error http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... 12&t=52163. The crashes are periodic, any where from up to 6 days (I should note that the A/V software was partially disabled during some of the time of this period so I never actually went 6 days between events with the A/V fully functional) to less than 24 hours between events. I'm running the latest version on Windows 8.1.

This is the error message I get in event viewer.
Faulting application name: deluge.exe, version: 1.3.15.0, time stamp: 0x530bd002
Faulting module name: python27.dll, version: 2.7.13150.1013, time stamp: 0x5855a387
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x0013f83b
Faulting process id: 0x2704
Faulting application start time: 0x01d33f1177fc242e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\deluge.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\python27.dll
Report Id: c1ee77ba-abb4-11e7-82c0-708bcdab99ce
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
I tried a completely fresh reinstall and I tried running in thinclient mode. Neither worked. I have another machine that runs Windows 7 that experienced the same error, even in thinclient mode, though the faulting module was different.

I highly suspect my A/V is causing this issue. I was recently forced to upgrade to their latest version about a month ago. The errors started right after this upgrade. Unfortunately many other things happened on my machine at the same time (tons of windows updates), so I cannot say for certain it was the A/V. But my Windows 7 machine experienced the error after the A/V software updated as well. I don't keep that machine running as often so I was only able to check just recently. I had also just updated deluge to the latest version though.

I have not yet tried rolling back deluge to an earlier version on either machines. I do have the YaRSS2 plugin installed, but the issue happened with it uninstalled as well.

Before I start harassing my A/V's support I wanted to ask if A/V software could even cause this issue in the first place and rule out the possibility of something else.
Last edited by AkariAkaza on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
djhifi

Re: Runtime Error periodically crashing Deluge

Post by djhifi »

Im not having a report but my Deluge usually also crashes under Windows 10 OS. I need to CTRL ALT DEL and terminate it.

Its connecting to a working daemon 24/7 (that never crashes or stops) on my NAS.

(both versions are 1.3.15)

Maybe the new beta will fix this?
AkariAkaza
New User
New User

Post by AkariAkaza »

Hmmm, that sounds like a different issue, but I'm not familiar with 10. I'm still convinced my issue is A/V related. I've reached the point where I'm done with the company. They decided to force update everyone to a new version without bother to work out the bugs. I'm going to try something else over the next few days.
If that doesn't do it, then I'm suspecting there's a registry issue. I had to install over 100 system and driver updates, some of which had previously been installed, after I suffered a BSOD over a month ago. I never figured out what caused it, but I think it had something to do with having Windows Update disabled for a couple months. Previously I had been tackling with an update failing to install correctly. I finally got it to install manually, but the Update service was broke so I disabled it and I never got around to fixing it. That's why it's almost impossible to check if an update is causing this issue, it'd almost be easier to do a clean boot.
Anyway, I've also been having a few new Perflib errors popping up since that fiasco which makes me suspect my image is messed up or the registry is corrupted. System File Checker comes up with no issues, but one shouldn't rely on Windows features to work correctly.

I'll try with different A/V software for now. If that doesn't work I'll try repairing Win 8.1 and if that doesn't work I'll do a clean install, though I mighthis beta try first. Unless anyone has any other suggestions?
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

There is a memory leak on Windows. Is this causing your issues? The issue is with the python GTK toolkit that Windows uses. It doesn't release memory when it redraws the columns, so the more active your torrent windows are the quicker it will use up memory.
AkariAkaza
New User
New User

Post by AkariAkaza »

Is there any way to check this? I don't think I've ever seen a spike in memory usage from deluge. Does the number of torrents you're seeding and have active play a role into this? I only have 198 seeding atm and rarely have more than a few active at a time.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

Just look at the task manager.
AkariAkaza
New User
New User

Post by AkariAkaza »

I've been monitoring task manager closely for a while now due to other reasons. As I said, I've never really seen it use a large amount of memory. Right now it's using ~73 MB with two active torrents but I'll keep monitoring deluge and memory usage more closely.
AkariAkaza
New User
New User

Post by AkariAkaza »

I forgot to ask, if this was the issue what exactly is causing Deluge to crash then? It's not like my machine is coming close to running out of memory, but is there something forcibly closing Deluge if it detects it using too much memory?

edit: I missed what you said about active windows. If a crash happens again (I'm currently testing with that A/V gone), I'll try thinclient mode again and this time keep the window closed when I don't need it.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

Yes, the daemon will run fine. It is the GUI that has the memory leak. It would only crash if you run out of memory. I have had it go up in to the GBs before anything happened.
AkariAkaza
New User
New User

Post by AkariAkaza »

It's been a full week with that A/V gone, not a single problem. I think I can rule out a memory leak in this case as well. It was Bitdefender 2018 that was the A/V, which the company had recently forced all its BD2017 users to upgrade to. Hope this thread helps someone else.

For technical sake, I'm fairly positive it was the new Advance Threat Defense feature that may have been causing the issue. During the past month I had a single period between events last 6 days. During those 6 days, I had that feature disabled for about half that time which is probably the only reason deluge lasted as long as it did. No other period between events came close. Disabling that feature also solved other issues, such as issues with the openVPN protocol.