Deluge Fast After Restart, then Slows

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
ss4johnny

Deluge Fast After Restart, then Slows

Post by ss4johnny »

One thing I've noticed lately is that after I restart, it takes a little while for deluge to load everything up, but then once it does it is fast. Like what I'm usually used to is around 1Mbps download. However, after whatever files that are downloading finish, then the speeds drop below 50 for an extended period. I can't quite figure out why that is. Even if I download a new torrent and send it to the top of the queue, it doesn't even start downloading half the time.

I'm half tempted to download the beta, but I don't know if that will resolve my issues or not.

Specifics:

Right now I have 228 torrents in Deluge, 40 downloading, 180ish seeding, and the remaining few paused. There's around 50-100 connections used right now at about 40kps download and 160kbps upload.

I'm on Windows 10 behind a VPN. My Deluge version is 1.3.15 with libtorrent 1.0.11.0.

I've been messing around with the settings in Deluge today, but here are the latest (of some of the key ones).
Total active: 30
Total active downloading: 15
Total active seeding:30

Global:
Max connections: 3000
Max upload slots: 300
Max DL speed: 3000
Max UL speed: 1500
Max Half-Open: 100
Max Connection Attempts per second: 100

Per torrent:
Max connections: 300
Max upload slots: 100
Max DL speed: 2000
Max UL speed: 1000

The only plugins I use are the Prevent Suspend Plus and the Label Plus. None of the torrents seem close to any limits I've put on Label Plus.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Deluge Fast After Restart, then Slows

Post by shamael »

Hi ss4johnny,

My first idea is network isue, why so much connections ? (3000)? Reduce this number to let's say 300 for moment an tell us the behavior.
Another part should be the disk IO, with Win 10 you can check the Resources monitor under disk tab. The value to check is under Storage>disk queue length. Considering you have a simple disk, no raid or else a value close to 1 indicate poor IOPS subsystem
ss4johnny

Post by ss4johnny »

I appreciate the reply.

I don't have a good sense of what to put these settings at. I just figured bumping it higher would mean faster speeds. I changed max connections per torrent (parentheses indicate max per torrent) to 300 (100), max upload slots to 150 (50). I will give it some time to evaluate, but on a preliminary basis it seems much faster (I don't really understand why that is, but seems like a positive change, the total number of connections I've made doesn't seem higher, though the overall speed is higher). Before making this change, the upload speed was almost always faster than the download speed, which I had found very strange.

The key thing I want to evaluate is whether it slows down after an extended period. One other issue is that sometimes when I add new torrents they don't start, even at the top of the queue. After making this change, the ones that hadn't started didn't magically start up, but I will restart and check it if happens again some time later today.

When I look at Disk Queue Length for the C drive in the Resource monitor it is very close to 0, but non-zero, like 0.03 or so, but bounces around. My desktop computer has 3 drives with no raid and the one that Deluge downloads on is a PCEe NVMe SSD that is pretty fast. Also, when downloads finish, they get moved to my FreeNAS storage. There is always a bit of slowdown when files get moved to another machine (all downloads basically stop), but this is normal behavior for Deluge.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

;)

There are some guide lines but mostly it depends of the resources you have. For example having 3000 possible connections kills my ISP modem and the speed slowly decrease with packet drop. It depends of the tracker too: on a public tracker lot of people limit the upload speed so a higher connection per torrent is better to reach your max speed. On private tracker and following my personal experience I rarely need more than 10 upload slot per torrent. My general setup is a global connections limitation and a per torrent limitation. I have currently on private tracker 50 con. per torrent and 10 upload slot.

It may happen with a slow tracker. One of mine often miss the first peer retrieval and go one a the second attempt. Maybe not your issue but check the tracker status at the bottom when selecting the concerned torrent.

Such value indicate no issue at this level, you have more sufficient hardware to handle the load :)
ss4johnny

Post by ss4johnny »

Just added some torrents that didn't start when added, but started fine after restart. Tracker status had said Announce OK. Nothing stands out as weird in Details.

I tried torrents from a few different sites and some didn't start, but others about started at about a 50% rate (all these have Announce OK on torrent status). Further, the downloads that worked were much slower than if I had restarted. If it was consistently good on the other sites, but only this one, then I'd figure it was a single slow tracker. The fact that it is subpar more generally suggests that it isn't just one slow tracker (though that one tracker might still be slow).

One thing I noticed is that many of the torrents I download from a particular site will be slow to start when the tracker shows up as http://tracker.trackerfix.com:80/announce instead of the tracker with the site's name in it. I added one new torrent and it randomly started up and it had the tracker with the site's name in it rather than the trackerfix.com. I haven't been able to find much information on this tracker.

Any idea if I can tell if I got blacklisted by a site? I wouldn't figure these would be showing up as OK if I did.
ss4johnny

Post by ss4johnny »

I think this may be related to my firewall (Avast). I disabled it and the speeds were back to normal.

Here's the weird thing, I tried to disable the firewall just on Deluge, putting it in exclusions and allowing all connections I can, but there is still a little box that is saying that Deluge is blocked (and another saying it's not). It still downloads, just nowhere at the speeds it was doing when the firewall was off.