Connecting to peers takes a long time

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
mhertz

Re: Connecting to peers takes a long time

Post by mhertz »

Thanks mate I appreciate it, and no problem whatsoever :)
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

what you can do:
- limit the global download speed
- reduce the connection and upload slot per torrent + globally.

I'm using the high speed preset with an RPI 3 without having issue. But all settings don't have to be applied to not struggle the RPI. For example the most killing settings in my setup (to not take from the preset)
- total connection 200
- 50 connections per torrent/ 10 upload slots
- caching: 4096MB/60 expiry

I limit my DL speed to 7MB and no impact for the rest of the network or peers connections.
Last edited by shamael on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Good advice by shamael above, and just wanted to add that my previous suggestions probably didn't even would make any difference, because I believe deluge overwrites the ltconfig settings(the ones exposed through deluge), meaning total connections and connections per second are by default in deluge 200 and 20, so ltconfig's high-performance-preset settings of 8000 and 500 would probably not even be used if running deluge-settings per default otherwise, so ignore my previous advice. Also, i'm an idiot, and again have to test if that preset gives me any boost in downloading with the above two options changed in deluge to reflect the high-performance-preset values of 8000 and 500, since those where then overridden in my tests with the default 200 and 20... With good torrents I often max out my connection, minus a slight overhead from my socks5 proxy(15.2MiB/s on 150Mb home cable-line), but if the speed could be obtained even faster, then that would of-course be a huge plus.

Edit: In my few test-cases, then raising max connections and connections-per-second in deluge to the ltconfig(libtorrent) high-performance values of 8000 and 500, does indeed raise my connection-speed in that it maxes-out the connection faster than with default values. The rest of the options in the preset for me didn't really seem to have any effect, though only limited testing has been done and it's a little hard to compare such accurately due to the "non-stableness" of the bittorrent-protocol itself(swarm-health/stability, I mean).
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

mhertz wrote:Good advice by shamael above, and just wanted to add that my previous suggestions probably didn't even would make any difference, because I believe deluge overwrites the ltconfig settings(the ones exposed through deluge), meaning total connections and connections per second are by default in deluge 200 and 20, so ltconfig's high-performance-preset settings of 8000 and 500 would probably not even be used if running deluge-settings per default otherwise, so ignore my previous advice. Also, i'm an idiot, and again have to test if that preset gives me any boost in downloading with the above two options changed in deluge to reflect the high-performance-preset values of 8000 and 500, since those where then overridden in my tests with the default 200 and 20... With good torrents I often max out my connection, minus a slight overhead from my socks5 proxy(15.2MiB/s on 150Mb home cable-line), but if the speed could be obtained even faster, then that would of-course be a huge plus.

Edit: In my few test-cases, then raising max connections and connections-per-second in deluge to the ltconfig(libtorrent) high-performance values of 8000 and 500, does indeed raise my connection-speed in that it maxes-out the connection faster than with default values. The rest of the options in the preset for me didn't really seem to have any effect, though only limited testing has been done and it's a little hard to compare such accurately due to the "non-stableness" of the bittorrent-protocol itself(swarm-health/stability, I mean).
For me it's quiet the opposite: ltconfig overrides the Deluge settings :). The 8000 connections and cache settings killed my device during first tests, but it's easy to check the values are correctly displayed in GTK interface. The most dumb issue I faced to was the number of simultaneous downloads: ltconfig was set to 3, but the value in Deluge was 1. The connection max was easy to check, displayed bottom left of the GTK and the cache settings are correctly displayed in preferences but the simultaneous download not. You can have a Deluge and ltconfig value, this last one won :)

(how I spent a couple of hours of my life for nothing :p)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Ohh, now that's strange, as as stated it's opposite for me, and I just now again installed pygtk to check the GUI and in the lower corner it stated 0 (200), which I remembered I'd seen before, hence my reasoning. I checked the preferences and everything was default e.g. max connections and connections per sec, cache and queue etc. I run latest deluge stable and latest libtorrent on arch linux, though that shouldn't change anything as not patched and vanilla packages... Puzzling... :)

Edit: Of course "load on startup" was also enabled on the ltconfig high-performance preset ;)

Edit2: I'm sorry shamael, you're of course correct, and it's just simply a UI glitch. I didn't think ltconfig took precedence because it still stated '0 (200)' down-left and the preferences dialog where also unchanged, but after testing it, by changing max global connections in core.conf to '20' while using the high-performance preset, then down-left it stated e.g. '192 (20)', lol :) When ditching the high-performance-preset the peers never went over the defined max of 20. Sorry again, and thanks for the correction mate :)
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Well we sort it out at the end :p.
SeriousHoax

Post by SeriousHoax »

Confusion and Confusion. I'm super confused :D