Error when uploading created torrent

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
glucenag
New User
New User

Error when uploading created torrent

Post by glucenag »

Hello and thanks in advance.

I've been using Deluge for some time now without problems but now I think I must be doing something wrong.

The problem is as follows: I create a new torrent with Deluge, because I want to send a file to a friend. I use the creation tool in Deluge and for the tracker URL I write:

http://myIPaddress:portX/announce
http://localhost:portX/announce

where portX is some port (in my case 81).

On CanYouSeeMe.org I have checked that my service is seen on port 81 for the IP address "myIPaddress". I've also configured my router so as to forward port 81 to port 81 on my machine, which is running Windows 8.1 by the way. I've also configured Deluge so as to use ports in the range 81 to 81.

The error I get is as follows: it tries to announce the tracker but reports: "the connection was interrupted by remote host" or something of the sort, and then the status goes back to bad request - before it tries announcing again, gives the error message about the remote host, and continues looping.

I'll make clear that the torrent IS created successfully. Also, my connection is fine: I have several torrent clients up and running downloads as well as uploads.

I've also tried creating this torrent with other clients, but without much success (and in any case I would like to do this with Deluge, preferably).

I've also tried with different files, located at different places. I've tried with the simplest things, located at the simplest places on the computer - nothing works.

I've read quite a little bit - although obviously I am no expert - on the topic of creating a private torrent for file sharing purposes, but somehow I can't find a solution to my problem anywhere nor can I figure out one, and I don't understand the error message.

Note: I am using a VPN which is running all the time, although I'm unsure that matters a lot.

Any sort of help would be highly appreciated. I'll be happy to post any logs if you'd be kind enough to tell me how and where to find them. I hope I'm not missing anything obvious.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Error when uploading created torrent

Post by Cas »

The tracker url has to be a running torrent tracker which Deluge doesn't include. You could use a public tracker or the other side can add your peer details in the UI Peer Tab which should connect to your running Deluge.

A guide would be useful for small scale peer-peer torrent creation without a tracker. I have asked the libtorrent dev about this type of scenario before but perhaps I should follow-up on it.
glucenag
New User
New User

Post by glucenag »

So you're saying it's better to use a different client then, e.g. one with an embedded tracker?
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

to be able to D/l a torrent file, addresses of the peers are communicated by the tracker. Deluge Is a torrent client/server but not a tracker (as the other client so far I know)

You can use any public tracker to publish your freshly created torrent or, but cannot confirm it works, your friend can add the .torrent in its client and in the peer tab you he can add your ip:port. This way it's a "forced" peer connection and the tracker is not mandatory. I never did it but theoretically...
glucenag
New User
New User

Post by glucenag »

Thanks for your reply. I do not wish to fiddle with forced peer connections. There has to be a better way. Other clients such as qBittorrent do feature an embedded tracker by the way, but then I guess this topic is out of the intended scope of the present forum. A friend of mine just told me that he did it seamlessly with uTorrent and it worked like a charm without any tweakings. Perhaps I'll have to try that then.

In the meantime, if anyone has an idea to do this with Deluge without having to tell my friend to do any tweaks, I would be glad to hear it!