How to stop seeding ASAP?!

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Re: How to stop seeding ASAP?!

Post by gderf »

Ah, ........... a Windows user.

You have to edit that file as an Administrator, not an ordinary user. So open notepad as Administrator, then open the file for editing. Make sure that when you save the file, the original file extension does not get changed - Notepad might append .txt to it and that will break things.

"sudo gedit" means open the gedit editor program as the Linux superuser. But you're on Windows, so ignore it.

As for the author making this so hard, here's my theory. He wrote the program and provides it to us for free to use as is. If we don't like it, we can become smart enough to hack into it and fix it so it works the way we want it to, or we can use some other program that works the way we want it to out of the box. Pick one.
Nydra

Post by Nydra »

I got the file to save by changing the permissions, got it set to 0.00 not 0.01 like he said in the thread.
BUT my files are still seeding, heres a picture of what my queue settings look like right now.

http://i.imgur.com/cVMWDJN.jpg
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

The Preferences | Queue settings are correct.

"Seeding" has more than one meaning. One meaning is that you have the entire file available (100%) and are offering it to peers. Another is that there are actually peers in the list for a torrent and you are actually uploading some bytes to them.

If there are no active peers, only seeds in the list for a torrent, then it will continue to show as Seeding until at least a few bytes have been uploaded by you to someone.

Also, the Queue settings for the individual torrents might not be the way you want them. They may have been set by the program before you edited that file. So click on each torrent in the list and then open the Options tab. Make sure the Queue settings there are correct for every torrent in the list. Newly added torrents should pick up the settings you have in the Preferences.
Last edited by gderf on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nydra

Post by Nydra »

Also is it normal for torrents to be Queued when not seeding and completed?
Nydra

Post by Nydra »

gderf wrote:The Preferences | Queue settings are correct.

"Seeding" has more than one meaning. One meaning is that you have the entire file available (100%) and are offering it to peers. Another is that there are actually peers in the list for a torrent and you are actually uploading some bytes to them.

If there are no active peers, only seeds in the list for a torrent, then it will continue to show as Seeding until at least a few bytes have been uploaded by you to someone.

Also, the Queue settings for the individual torrents might not be the way you want them. They may have been set by the program before you edited that file. So click on each torrent in the list and then open the Options tab. Make sure the Queue settings there are correct for every torrent in the list. Newly added torrents should pick up the settings you have in the Preferences.
Ok... That's not exactly what I was hoping for, how do you make it not do that? For instance when I was running uTorrent, it finished downloading, then went to seeding, I would then right click the torrent, click on stop, and it wouldn't upload, seed, none of that, how do I accomplish THAT?
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

If you have things set the way I suggested, once torrents complete and begin to actually seed to someone, they are going to immediately be removed from the list.
Nydra

Post by Nydra »

gderf wrote:If you have things set the way I suggested, once torrents complete and begin to actually seed to someone, they are going to immediately be removed from the list.
The thing is I have it set the way you suggested, and they've been seeding now for roughly 10-15 mins.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

You can right click on a torrent in the list and select Pause or Delete. But if things are working properly, and at least a few bytes were uploaded by you to a peer, you will not get the chance to do that - the torrent will have been deleted.

As I said, torrents that existed before you made that edit might not behave the way you want. But all newly added ones should. Add a few new ones and see.

You say you have some seeding for 10-15 minutes, but are there actually peers you are seeding to?
Nydra

Post by Nydra »

Peers 2 (4)
Peers 1 (6)
Peers 0 (5)
Just did a new torrent, and it did behave exactly as you said it would, interesting.
Thank you very much for all the help man!
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

You'll just have to handle those existing ones by deleting them manually.

If some newly added torrents misbehave, then check Options tab to be sure that "Stop at seed" is really set to zero.

And remember that if you upgrade Deluge to the next version, that edited file will probably be replaced and you'll have to fix it up again.