Speed fluctuates when setting upload limit

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
g7Bond
New User
New User

Speed fluctuates when setting upload limit

Post by g7Bond »

Hi!

I'm running Deluge 1.3.6 on a Debian 7.4 box. I have been using it for some time now and all works perfectly.
Due to an energy problem, the computer has to be rebooted, and since that the following is happening:

When running Deluge without any speed limit, the download runs perfect at max speed, which is around 1800KB/s to me.
Setting a download limit works perfectly, and we keep running at max speed (that is now limited).

The problem happen when I set a limit on upload speed. I have 1mbps upload speed, and I usually limit it to 30KB/s. When I do this the download speed starts to fluctuate. I drops to something near 10KB/s and goes up again until it max out. And the same keeps happening again. When I limit the upload speed to something bigger than that, like 80KB/s, the download speed keeps going at max level.

* this happens even when no upload is being made to other users

My guess is that the limit is being applied to the protocol data as well.
Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
bengalih

Re: Speed fluctuates when setting upload limit

Post by bengalih »

This is very funny. I just tonight started to use Deluge after being a long time uTorrent user.
I must say I am so far very happy with it. It took me a while to figure out how to setup the daemon function so that I could integrated with some other apps - but now I am rocking and rolling.

I have been seeing the same thing that the OP has as I have been tuning my parameters (I am on a Windows box). I just created this account to post my issues here when I see this post brand new at the top of the forum!

I'm seeing even stranger issues with speed. For instance, if I set both my Maximum upload and download to -1, I get full download speeds - which for me is about 2-2.4 MiB/s.

When I change my upload speeds, my download speeds also alter according to the following:
upload/download
100 / ~2 MiB/s
80 / ~1.9 MiB/s
60 / ~1.5 MiB/s
40 / ~1 MiB/s
10 / wavers between ~30 - ~400 KiB/s

What is also strange is when I set my upload to unlimited but change my download from unlimited to 2000 KiB/s my download goes down to 1.4-1.7 MiB/s.
Even if I set my max download to 3000 KiB/s, my download still hovers at the 1.9 MiB/s range.
But, the minute I set it back to -1, it pops back up to 2-2.4 MiB/s

I'm getting frustrated because the limiter/scheduler in uTorrent worked pretty flawlessly for me and is a make of break feature.
I can't find much documentation on this - it almost seems like Deluge is forcing you to set high upload limits in order to get high downloads, and these seems an artificial limit.

I am able to use similar speeds in uTorrent (2MiB up and only 10KiB down) and get my full download speeds in my tests.

I hope someone can tell us what is going on with this!
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

So I think I have found out how to solve this....

I unchecked "Rate Limit IP Overhead"

I've read the tooltip for the setting - but I don't really understand why it would be affecting it in this way.
g7Bond
New User
New User

Post by g7Bond »

Hi!

That option seems to fix the problem indeed!

If anyone can give us some hint about why is that option having that affect, and if this is the expected behavior, it whould be nice!

Thanks a lot!
jeremyl

Post by jeremyl »

I have the same problem on 1.3.13 on Raspbian. Unfortunately unchecking "Rate Limit IP Overhead" has no effect. If I lower my up speed to 20KiB/s, my dl speed which is set to unlimited, throttles at about 80KiB/s.