Why does Deluge ignore settings in core.conf?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
private_citizen
New User
New User

Why does Deluge ignore settings in core.conf?

Post by private_citizen »

I've noticed that Deluge seems to ignore settings in core.conf and just does its own thing. For example: I want a torrent to only use one upload slot, so I set it in either Preferences > Bandwidth, in the torrent options itself, or in core.conf, but when I look in that torrent's peer upload list I see 5 slots being used. I then go to a command line and check the outgoing port using "netstat -anp | grep <outgoing port number>" and I see dozens of established connections for that port. What gives?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Why does Deluge ignore settings in core.conf?

Post by Cas »

You can only modify core.conf with Deluge shutdown.
private_citizen
New User
New User

Cas wrote:You can only modify core.conf with Deluge shutdown.
Yes, that is exactly the way I modify core.conf. However, that is not the only way I have tried editing the settings. I have tried three different ways, all with the same result, as I noted in my original post:

1) Go to Preferences > Bandwidth > Global Settings and set the Maximum Upload Slots to 1.
or
2) Highlight the torrent in question, go to the Options tab, and change the Maximum Upload Slots to 1.
or
3) Shut down Deluge and the daemon, edit core.conf and change the Maximum Upload Slots to 1.

In all three cases the result is the same when I check the torrent's peer list; I see several IPs using an upload slot, when I should only see ONE upload slot being used.

I can provide several other examples of when Deluge just ignores settings and does its own thing. I have tried to block the upload port noted in the settings, in both my local firewall and my router firewall, -- with UPNP disabled -- and Deluge will still open several upload slots per torrent. I've noticed several other anomalies, such as both 0 and -1 mean unlimited, when 0 should mean zero or none and -1 mean unlimited. I've tired changing the "Stop seeding when share ratio reaches" down to 0.1, but it just resets itself to 0.5. I've tried shutting down Deluge, editing core.conf, then making the file read-only, but when Deluge starts back up it just creates another version of core.conf and puts only certain settings back. I can go on, but I think at this point I'm beating a dead horse.
ernobe

Post by ernobe »

Are you sure Deluge is reading the core.conf file that you are modifying? There are default configuration files in your ~/.config/deluge directory.

Do you have more than one Deluge on your system? If so they could have your configuration files mixed up.

If you are still experiencing problems, we would have to know what kind of an operating system you have it set up in and if others with a similar set up are experiencing the same problem.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

The problem is that he is using settings that are not available in the way he wants.
private_citizen
New User
New User

Cas wrote:The problem is that he is using settings that are not available in the way he wants.
Wait, so you are saying that highlighting a torrent, clicking on the Options tab and changing the Maximum Upload Slots to 1, but still having 5+ upload slots open is just me "using settings that are not available in the way want"? *facepalm*

Then why give the option to have -1 to ∞ Maximum Upload Slots?

Why even have an Options tab at all???