WebUI keeps losing connection with large number of torrents.

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
hoobergoober
New User
New User

WebUI keeps losing connection with large number of torrents.

Post by hoobergoober »

I'm running Deluge 1.3.2 on an OVH server (SP2010 Storage) under Ubuntu Server 10.04 64-bit. If I remember correctly the server has a 3 GHz dual-core CPU, 4 GB of RAM, and a 4 x 1.5 TB RAID-5 array. I'm connecting to that using the WebUI in either Firefox or Chrome (usually Chrome, but I tried Firefox with the same results).

The problem is that I can't keep a connection to the WebUI server. This only started recently, when I reached about 500 seeding torrents. I log into the WebUI, it connects but doesn't display my list of torrents, and then typically it gives me the "The connection to the webserver has been lost!" message box within 30 seconds or so. Sometimes I can briefly connect if I kill and restart the "deluge-web" process, but as soon as I try to do anything (move something up or down the queue, pause or resume a torrent, etc), it gives me the connection lost message again and won't reconnect no metter how many times I try.

Is there some kind of limit (physical or otherwise) to how many torrents the WebUI can handle? Could this just be a timeout issue between the daemon and WebUI or the server and my browser?
CSB
Leecher
Leecher

Re: WebUI keeps losing connection with large number of torre

Post by CSB »

Anything preventing you from trying using a remotely connected GTK client?
hoobergoober
New User
New User

Post by hoobergoober »

Nothing crucial; I just prefer the simplicity of the WebUI (i.e. not needing an application installed). I'd like to try to resolve the issue first if possible...
CSB
Leecher
Leecher

Post by CSB »

The GTK client performs much better, and allows you to perform functions not available in the web ui. I boot a VM whenever I need to use it, so honestly, I personally would hardly find having an application installed an inconvenient work-around.

If trying other browsers doesn't do the job, there isn't likely anything you can do, unless you want to figure out what's causing the problem and submit the patch. Maybe try RAIDing your ethernet cores.
hoobergoober
New User
New User

Post by hoobergoober »

OK, I'll give the GTK client a shot... but I need a bit of help in terms of how to set it up on a Windows (7, x64) machine and connect to the server over SSH. The Thin Client Userguide seems to be written for someone using Linux on both ends. What I'm not clear on:

I use PuTTY to SSH into the server (with a non-standard SSH port). How do I accomplish this part on my Windows system using PuTTY?
1. Open up a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

ssh -fNL 127.0.0.2:58846:localhost:58846 <server>
Where <server> is the public ip of your server.

Note: We use 127.0.0.2 instead of localhost so that deluge realises that we are actually connecting to a remote daemon.

Note: If you get the error:

bind: Can't assign requested address
You need to add 127.0.0.2 as an alias for the loopback device:

sudo ifconfig lo0 add 127.0.0.2
CSB
Leecher
Leecher

Post by CSB »

Try googling: http://oldsite.precedence.co.uk/nc/putty.html

If you can't get putty to tunnel for you, see if cygwin's ssh is compatible.
hoobergoober
New User
New User

Post by hoobergoober »

Yeah, I have no idea where I'm going wrong, but I can't get Deluge on my local system to see the remote daemon. I started a PuTTY session with a tunnel for port 58846 to localhost:58846 (also tried the full 127.0.0.2:58846:localhost:58846 as in the guide), then followed the rest of the guide, and the status of that host is always shown as red. I'm a complete rookie when it comes to manual networking config, and of course Windows doesn't give any goddamn feedback about what's going on, so right now I'm stumped. I know that's pathetic, but whatever.

I'd still like to know if there's actually a limit on the number of torrents that the WebUI can handle (hard, or performance-related), or a timeout that's cutting me off before all of the torrent state data can be retrieved...
CSB
Leecher
Leecher

Post by CSB »

sudo ifconfig lo0 add 127.0.0.2
Clearly won't work on windows, so I'm assuming the problem is you're not aliasing 127.0.0.2 to loopback. Try reading here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21233295

EDIT: that's specifically ipv6... try http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 7a2e9814cf
hoobergoober
New User
New User

Post by hoobergoober »

Hah, OK, I've got it solved. The articles you linked to were missing one minor detail, the tiny puzzle piece that gives the same result in PuTTY as the guide's original SSH commandline:

For the "Source port" field in PuTTY, one needs to specify "127.0.0.2:58846" instead of just the port "58846", and then use "localhost:58846" as the destination. I honestly don't really get the why of it, since those are supposed to mean exactly the same thing, but anyway, it works and that's all that matters. Someone should probably update the Thin Client userguide with this for Windows users (I could supply screenshots of PuTTY with the appropriate stuff filled in if necessary).

I've already noticed an annoying missing feature in the GTK UI: Multi-column sorting. In the WebUI, you can sort on one column, then sort on another, and the first sort will be retained as much as possible while also being sorted by the new column. For example, you can sort all by the name column, then sort by the tracker column, and the result will be all torrents in alphabetical order but grouped by tracker. This doesn't appear to be possible in the GTK UI... sorting on the second column completely throws away the first sort.

:cry:
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

I've already noticed an annoying missing feature in the GTK UI: Multi-column sorting.
If you could create a feature request for that then we can look into implementing it for Gtk.