Opening Torrents

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
TechN9ne1730

Opening Torrents

Post by TechN9ne1730 »

I am giving deluge a try as Transmission 2.11 was doing a horrible job of reporting my stats. I am using it on Win 7 x64 as a Thin Client to connect to my seedbox much like I was using Transmission Remote to connect to my seedbox. One thing I was able to do in Trans that made life easy when using private trackers was the ability to click a .torrent file link, choose Open with: Transmission remote, and the torrent file was automatically uploaded to Transmission. This was much better imo then having to save the .torrent to my HDD, add the .torrent in deluge manually, and then delete the .torrent from my desktop. I tried doing this using Deluge 1.3.1 on my Windows machine and the seedbox is a debian server running deluge 1.3.0. I really hope this can be accomplished with in deluge as well. Hopefully deluge proves to be s superior client as well.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Opening Torrents

Post by Cas »

If you are have installed the gtk ui in windows then this should work. Make sure that you checked the box to associate torrents with deluge in the installer.

Also make sure that the remote deluged is the default when deluge gtk opens. This is a screenshot of my setup:
connman.png
connman.png (49.37 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
TechN9ne1730

Post by TechN9ne1730 »

Cas, thanks for the reply. First, no I did not set deluge to be the default client because I still plan to use utorrent on my pc and prefer that to be default. I honestly don't think that should matter if I am opening the torrent with deluge. With trans I did not need to se trans remote as the default torrent handler.

Second as for the connection manager only connection set in there is the seedbox. I don't have localhost set anymore. Do you suppose that might be a problem?
TechN9ne1730

Post by TechN9ne1730 »

I wanted to bump this after reading it again when I was more awake.
Cas wrote:If you are have installed the gtk ui in windows then this should work
Yes I installed GTK. I would think the app would fail with out it wouldnt it?
Make sure that you checked the box to associate torrents with deluge in the installer.
While I dotn believe this is needed, I decided to do this as per your suggestion. It didnt help.
Also make sure that the remote deluged is the default when deluge gtk opens.
deluge-gtk.exe isnt set as the default app, deluege.exe is. I tried opening torrent with both UIs respectively, and neither one would "open" the file through firefox. If I save the .torrent to my HDD and then open, it works, but this is still one more step then I prefer to do.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

I understand what you are attempting to do now.

I do not run Windows but when testing it previously I recall something similar happening.
TechN9ne1730

Post by TechN9ne1730 »

Similar in what regard?
TechN9ne1730

Post by TechN9ne1730 »

So I decided to give it a shot again today just for the heck of it, and for some reason, it worked. I can now simply click the download link, choose open, and wait about 5 seconds or so and i get the add torrent dialog!