"DO NOT DOWNLOAD" why it doesn't work? I am angry!!!

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

"DO NOT DOWNLOAD" why it doesn't work? I am angry!!!

Post by abubin »

As far as I can remember, the option of setting files not to download does not work 100%.

I notice that when I specify only to download certain files in a torrent, those files on top and bottom of a file to download also get downloaded. I am not sure if this is deluge or libtorrent's fault. I have ignored this for as long as I can remember using deluge and I can't remember if this rules were followed correctly by other torrent clients.

I just had a torrent where I specify to download certain files but it downloaded a bunch of other files that I do not want. I wasted bandwidth and time downloading over 1.5GB of files that I do not want. My country's internet connection is slow and on top of that I have to also deal with the only ISP I have in my country who throttle torrents. 1.5GB takes a few days and sometimes up to a week to download and I could downloaded something else with this wasted 1.5GB.

I am not sure if this is deluge or libtorrent or whatever's fault but I just about had enough of dealing with wasting bandwidth downloading useless files that I do not want.

I urge deluge developer to fix this problem. Please. Appreciate it very much.
Jaxon

Re: "DO NOT DOWNLOAD" why it doesn't work? I am angry!!!

Post by Jaxon »

From what I remember, you are unable to use the priority settings on a per file basis if you aren't using full allocation. If you are set to allocate drive space as needed then anything thrown at the priority settings will be ignored.
gazpachoking

Post by gazpachoking »

abubin wrote: I notice that when I specify only to download certain files in a torrent, those files on top and bottom of a file to download also get downloaded.
Those files are probably not getting completely downloaded, see here.
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by abubin »

I am using full allocation. Always have been. Only with full allocation, one can manually specify what file to download.

I am not sure if the downloading is correct. One example I see in recent case is this...there are few files in the torrent. I specify only to download 1 file (let's call this aaa.zip) which is around 1.9GB. However, the file on top of aaa.zip is another 1.8GB file (let's call this bbb.zip) and 1.5GB got downloaded as shown by deluge. Another file at the bottom of aaa.zip which I also specify not to download got downloaded 100% but this is only some .txt file with small size.

So you are saying the 1.8gb bbb.zip file showing 1.5GB downloaded is not true?
gazpachoking

Post by gazpachoking »

abubin wrote:I am using full allocation. Always have been. Only with full allocation, one can manually specify what file to download.

I am not sure if the downloading is correct. One example I see in recent case is this...there are few files in the torrent. I specify only to download 1 file (let's call this aaa.zip) which is around 1.9GB. However, the file on top of aaa.zip is another 1.8GB file (let's call this bbb.zip) and 1.5GB got downloaded as shown by deluge. Another file at the bottom of aaa.zip which I also specify not to download got downloaded 100% but this is only some .txt file with small size.

So you are saying the 1.8gb bbb.zip file showing 1.5GB downloaded is not true?
Hmm, if it is reporting as downloaded in the deluge file list it is probably true. The maximum that _should_ get downloaded from a file that is marked as do not download is the piece size of the torrent. If 1.5 GB got downloaded, something seems wrong.
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by abubin »

anyone having similar experience?
Sammi
New User
New User

Post by Sammi »

abubin, are you sure those 1.5 GB of files are really complete finished file downloads? Have you checked if they work?

My hunch, is that they are mostly empty files, that were only created by Deluge, because of the way the bittorrent protocol works. See the link that gazpachoking provided to the FAQ. It explains it perfectly:
Deluge sometimes creates files that I didn't ask it to download?

Deluge handles files as pieces, not as individual files. This gets tricky, as sometimes the same piece is shared between multiple files. So if you tell Deluge to download a file, it'll download all of the pieces within that file, and if one of those pieces is shared with another file, that file will also be created, although not necessarily entirely downloaded.
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by abubin »

I can't check if the file really got downloaded 1.5GB because it is only partial of the total file. I understand if a few bits got downloaded but in that case, shouldn't the indicator shows 10mb downloaded or something? Anyway, I didn't bother to check as I have already deleted this torrent.

I will check again when I am downloading from torrents with lots of big files.

Apart from downloading big files, what I can confirm is those torrents with small files.

A lot of the times, some torrents will have a few jpg files to it. Sometimes when I am in the mood, I will specify deluge to "do not download" those jpg files as I only need the bigger sized file. However, most of the times, these jpg files get downloaded anyway. And most of the times it's 100% of the jpg got downloaded. I can confirm this as I have tried to open the jpg and I can view those pics no problem. This, I am not really bothered as the jpg is only few hundred Kb. But 1.5GB is too much of a waste when it's something I don't need.

BTW in the future, how would I know if 1.5GB has actually being downloaded as reported? Let's say the file is actually 2GB and 1.5GB got downloaded and I did specify "do not download" this file.
gazpachoking

Post by gazpachoking »

abubin wrote: A lot of the times, some torrents will have a few jpg files to it. Sometimes when I am in the mood, I will specify deluge to "do not download" those jpg files as I only need the bigger sized file. However, most of the times, these jpg files get downloaded anyway. And most of the times it's 100% of the jpg got downloaded. I can confirm this as I have tried to open the jpg and I can view those pics no problem. This, I am not really bothered as the jpg is only few hundred Kb. But 1.5GB is too much of a waste when it's something I don't need.
This is completely normal when the piece size is large compared to the file size. The pieces on the edge of the desired file may entirely encompass the small files before and after the desired one.