New User
New User

Best torrent client and why?

Post by thatp2pguy »

What is your experience using these
uTorrent
Bittorrent
Deluge

Is Deluge already available for windows Vista? (I really don't know :? )
loki

Re: Best torrent client and why?

Post by loki »

My experience with utorrent started back when I was looking for a lighter torrent program than azureus some really old versions ago (1.5). I do/did like utorrent until they sold out to bittorrent and it doesn't help that now both official programs are closed source... You don't really know what they may inserting into their programs to keep eyes on you. (for example search google for utorrent + mpaa)

If you must use utorrent I would suggest 1.6.1 as the latest release, the 'safe' version before it was sold. Or, bittorrent 5.x line, supposedly is still open source, I've never used it before.

Yes, Deluge is available for Windows Vista, see this link... http://download.deluge-torrent.org/windows/

Deluge is currently doing pretty much everything I would like it to do... and even has features I don't use.
dvdbrwn112
New User
New User

Post by dvdbrwn112 »

I like the most is deluge and i am happy with it.
I had also used a bittorrent and utorrent.
You can check it out and you will find that deluge is best than others.
R4 games
ther0n

Post by ther0n »

my 5 year torrenting experience:

1) uTorrent
+fast
+simple to install and use
+good support - bugs get sorted out quickly

-my ISP blocked uTorrent, traffic encryption didnt help

2) Deluge
+good encryption, my ISP is unable to block it

-slow, need fast computer to use it
-need cetrain knowledge to build it yourself
-depends on other software (gtk+, etc)

I am using Deluge more than a year now, building myself rather than using win32 installer,
and I am happy with it, because my ISP is still unable to block it. I was using uTorrent, Azureus, BitTornado, BitComet - all were blocked by my ISP.
I used Deluge on Windows XP x64, Vista x64 and now on Windows 7 x64.
pdragon

Post by pdragon »

I'd been using Deluge for quite a while. A few months ago, though, 1.1.9 started communicated badly with the private tracker I use. It wasn't reporting my seed times/amounts properly or just wouldn't show my torrents as connectable at all. Every other torrent client I tried worked fine, so not sure what the issue with 1.1.9 is, but I finally settled on Transmission for now. No where near the options I like on the webUI, but it allows encrypted traffic, blocklists and runs very well.

I'm testing Deluge 1.2 as the RC's are released. I have high hopes for it!
noian

Post by noian »

Below is my opinion of various clients:

Utorrent:
-slow downloads (traffic shaping)
-closed source/owned by evil BT Inc.
+tiny footprint
+stable

Overall: Not going to use Utorrent. Ever.

Azureus:
-unstable downloads (even worse traffic shaping)
-large footprint
+stable
+NoVuze version+open source

Overall: Use if Deluge crashing on me.

Deluge:
-unstable (interface/crashing)
-unstable (downloads/lost data)
+fast (no traffic shaping)
+open source
+small footprint

Overall: My main client despite instability (since it isn't that appearant if you only download 1 torrent at a time).

Transmission:
-feature light
-only linux
+stable
+small footprint
+open source

Overall: Would be competition for Deluge if I used Linux.
cynical
New User
New User

Post by cynical »

Deluge is my favorite client on Linux. Everything about it is excellent and it has all the features I need and more. Unfortunately the windows version is just awful. Normally when I install it on Windows XP it won't even run. So I decided I would just stop using XP altogether :p
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

I've been an avid user of uTorrent from when it first appeared on the scene, aeons ago! I've tried many other clients but uTorrent just seems to have all the features, stability and performance that pretty much any user could need. I have always wished it could be opensource but when its free you cannot complain.

Of course the reason i am now using Deluge is because I recently setup an ubuntu media server so i had to drop uTorrent and find a Linux alternative. My list of requirements were strict and after a disastrous attempt to install rTorrent, I found many users praising Deluge. I have been lucky I think in starting with the 1.20RC versions with revised code and interface making it pretty damn good. Despite it being WiP so a bit rough in places, its still great to use and pretty stable so far.

For anyone interested, I recently saw the figures on torrent client market share with top of the list uTorrent taking 60% and second place Vuse only 14%!
http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-userba ... ve-091018/