Plugin making instructions?

Suggest, post, or discuss plugins for Deluge
pettman

Plugin making instructions?

Post by pettman »

I've got some moderate experience in programming python (and GTK through glade) and an idea for a plug-in, now I want to know where I can find some info on making plug-ins (such as where the files are supposed to be saved, what they should be called and preferably a good way to find out what all the widgets are called). Can anyone help me out?
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Plugin making instructions?

Post by markybob »

pettman wrote:I've got some moderate experience in programming python (and GTK through glade) and an idea for a plug-in, now I want to know where I can find some info on making plug-ins (such as where the files are supposed to be saved, what they should be called and preferably a good way to find out what all the widgets are called). Can anyone help me out?
really the best way to learn is to just look at the code of existing plugins. in particular, look at simple ones, such as the TorrentNotification and the TorrentSearch plugins. basically, you need a __init__.py, and besides that, you can call anything whatever you want.
dtg
New User
New User

Post by dtg »

Ya I'm in a similar situation. I've only recently learned Python but I do have experience with GTK+ using C++. I decided to look at the plugins which answers a lot of questions but what would be nice is a sort of API reference of sorts. Just a list of objects and method calls that can be utilized since then I wouldn't have to bury myself in the actual Deluge code just to figure out how to do one thing. I feel like by the time I finish my plugin I will have so much knowledge about the Deluge code base itself that I may as well start work on it.
pettman

Post by pettman »

markybob wrote:really the best way to learn is to just look at the code of existing plugins. in particular, look at simple ones, such as the TorrentNotification and the TorrentSearch plugins. basically, you need a __init__.py, and besides that, you can call anything whatever you want.
Do I have to put them in /usr/share/deluge/plugins (or wherever you installed deluge) or can I put them in ~/.config/deluge/plugin ?
dtg wrote:I feel like by the time I finish my plugin I will have so much knowledge about the Deluge code base itself that I may as well start work on it.
Congratulations, you have unearthed the devs evil plan. :P
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

pettman wrote:Do I have to put them in /usr/share/deluge/plugins (or wherever you installed deluge) or can I put them in ~/.config/deluge/plugin ?
you can put the plugin dir inside of ~/.config/deluge/plugins
pettman wrote:Congratulations, you have unearthed the devs evil plan. :P
whatever works :)