[Request] seed priority

Suggest, post, or discuss plugins for Deluge
Goggy
New User
New User

[Request] seed priority

Post by Goggy »

i've been seeding torrents to keep them alive but the number of torrents has grown to over 30 now and bandwidth is starting to run low. The problem is that sometimes 1 torrent has over 10 seeds and another has 0 but it can turn around within an hour or 2.
I used to have an old client that allowed you to set a condition for what torrent to seed first but it hasnt been developped for years and is very unstable when adding more then 3 torrents.
the conditions were like "seeds under [X]", "seeds/peers ratio under [X]", "total speed/peers under [X] kb/s", etc.
I was wondering if it was possible to make a plugin that could do this

if its hard to understand from my explanation it was something like this:

upload speed under [for example 500 kb/s]
1) seeds under [for example 1]
upload speed under [for example 500 kb/s]
2) total speed/peers under [for example 5] kb/s
upload speed under [for example 300 kb/s]
3) seeds under [for example 3]

this would check if your upload speed is under 500 kb/s, check which torrents you are seeding and only seed those with less then 1 seed (condition 1). if your upload speed doesn't go over 500 kb/s it would seed the torrents where peers get less then 5 kb/s average (total speed divided by number of peers, excluding seeds). if total speed doesnt go over 300 kb/s then, also seed the torrents following condition 3, the torrents with less then 3 seeds. and so on

this would only work good if you set the upload speed values below your actual upload/upload limit but it would help seeders seed only the torrents that would require it the most.

if you guys could create a plugin that does this, i (and other seeders) would be very grateful
thank you

EDIT: i forget it rechecked this every X (i think it was 15) minutes to see which torrents it should stop
priegog

Re: seed priority

Post by priegog »

I second this.
Azureus does this, and it's wonderfull, but I think the reason most of us are here using Deluge is running away from Azureus' hogging.
Goggy
New User
New User

Post by Goggy »

azureus does not offer any option to seed only the torrents you want to be seeded (unless you pause and start manually which i cant do while i sleep or work)
besides, azureus and utorrent are big memory hoggers with 30+ torrents in it
priegog

Post by priegog »

I know it's a big fat memory hog, but it does have seeding rules which are quite elaborated. Actually I'd go as far as to say that azureus would be the perfect BT client if it wasn't for it's java nature.
Goggy
New User
New User

Post by Goggy »

can i have anybody else his/her input please? :)
ottk3
New User
New User

Post by ottk3 »

Goggy wrote:can i have anybody else his/her input please? :)
I'd really like to see such a plugin. I got only 50 KB/s upload bandwidth and really would like to support files with a small amount of seeders.
It would be great if i could give all upload bandwidth for a torrent with a few seeders (if it's requested) otherwise it could use the bandwidth for the torrents with hundreds of seeders.

ottk3
trektorrents
Seeder
Seeder

Post by trektorrents »

Goggy wrote:azureus does not offer any option to seed only the torrents you want to be seeded
Not natively, but via plugin you can be extremely specific.

If you dig deep into the queueing rules, you can prioritise exactly the way he's talking (seeds, peers, speed, seed-to-peer ratios, no seeds, no peers) and if you add the AutoPilot plugin you can make seeding seed/peer/ratio specific on individual torrents, actually stopping and removing them from queue, rather than prioritising.
crhylove
New User
New User

Post by crhylove »

I would love to enable this feature as well. I want to primarily seed my own material over whatever random TV episode I might also be downloading. Any word on when or if this feature can be added?

This is my first post on these forums, and I just wanted to say:

GREAT JOB! DELUGE IS MY FAVORITE CLIENT IN LINUX AND WINDOWS!!!

Seriously, forced outgoing encryption and a blocklist for the win. Thanks guys!

rhY
zathmyre

Post by zathmyre »

I'm currently using Azureus on my main seed box only because of it's very specific seed prioritization rules. I have it set to sort all my torrents by seed count, pause any torrent with more than ten seeds, then focuses my upload traffic toward the top of the list, making sure to seed the torrents with the lowest number of seeds first. There are loads of other prioritization rules available: seed count, peer-seed ratio, seed count then peer seed ratio after a certain number of seeds, share ratio, and a simple time rotation. It would be great if someone would start development on a versatile plugin for starting and stopping torrents that would bridge the gap between Deluge and Azureus. I'd love to switch my seed box over to something less resource hungry than Azureus, but I really need some start and stop rules. In my opinion, the seed count is the most important rule for starting and stopping torrents. I'd be happy with a simple plugin that does nothing but automatically pause torrents when they have more than a certain minimum number of seeds, then start them again if that number falls back below the minimum.
MasterCATZ

Re: [Request] seed priority

Post by MasterCATZ »

yes please give us ability to set torrents seed priority

in fact i am half tempted to create and pay for an freelancer project to create an plugin for this

I am sick of seeing deluge seed torrents with multiple seeders when their is a torrent with a user stuck with no other seeders and deluge uploading 0kbs

then having to pause over 600 torrents just so this lonesome user can get attention

also does download priority even work ?

I have an 5 season show downloading I already had season 1+2 from another source but still wanted them for archiving so I set them to normal priority and wanted season 3 so set it highest with season 4 and 5 high

guess whats happened

season 1 90% normal
season 2 86% normal
season 3 10% highest
season 4 25% high
season 5 50% high

can we please get an low like azureus ...