IP blocklist support patch

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
tarka

Re: IP blocklist support patch

Post by tarka »

There is now support for the plaintext style in SVN. The next thing to do is support SafePeer zipped text files. I'll probably get around to this next weekend.

There is still no support for 7zip compressed files however. This is due to the lack of support in Python; the one external library that exists doesn't work for me, and doesn't appear to support the full archive format anyway (i.e. the zip-style indexed archives). It would be possible to fork off an external command to do the unpacking but that would fragile; it would be better to use a cron script to do this.
shirish
Seeder
Seeder

Post by shirish »

tarka,
I have put up couple of tickets for you, when you have time please go over them, if you have any queries (as a user perspective) you can either pm me , send me mail or on IRC :)
Debian Sid, Intel Dual-Core, 512 kbps DL , 64 Kbps UL, deluge-1.3.5, pieces plugin, GNOME 3.4.x

All posts under creative commons http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
tarka

Post by tarka »

shirish wrote:tarka,
I have put up couple of tickets for you, when you have time please go over them, if you have any queries (as a user perspective) you can either pm me , send me mail or on IRC :)
Yep, some of the UI stuff needs cleaning up, if anyone wants to mock-up what it should look like post screen-shots here.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

tarka wrote:BTW, can you msg me your blocklist sources, I'm gathering data.
i'd like to put in a vote for emule-style ip lists, such as this one: http://www.bluetack.info/temp/nipfilter.dat.gz
thanks again for this great plugin
tarka

Post by tarka »

markybob wrote:
tarka wrote:BTW, can you msg me your blocklist sources, I'm gathering data.
i'd like to put in a vote for emule-style ip lists, such as this one: http://www.bluetack.info/temp/nipfilter.dat.gz
thanks again for this great plugin
Shouldn't be too hard. I probably won't get around to it until the weekend however.
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by markybob »

tarka wrote:Shouldn't be too hard. I probably won't get around to it until the weekend however.
Tarka,
also, it's pretty annoying to have the "importing" dialog pop up every time you load the plugin or start deluge with it loaded (which is probably every time if you're using this plugin). it should only show the importing dialog if you configured it for the first time or just reconfigured. instead, i'd suggest you write "Blocklist: Importing..." to the status tray in deluge's main window. that way, users can still feel free to do other things in deluge while it's loading the list, which takes quite a while.
thanks again
tarka

Post by tarka »

markybob wrote:
tarka wrote:Shouldn't be too hard. I probably won't get around to it until the weekend however.
Tarka,
also, it's pretty annoying to have the "importing" dialog pop up every time you load the plugin or start deluge with it loaded (which is probably every time if you're using this plugin). it should only show the importing dialog if you configured it for the first time or just reconfigured. instead, i'd suggest you write "Blocklist: Importing..." to the status tray in deluge's main window. that way, users can still feel free to do other things in deluge while it's loading the list, which takes quite a while.
thanks again
I agree it's annoying; I run deluge on a 600MHz Mini-ITX machine with a laptop disk. It takes ~20 minutes to startup.

Currently the blocklist doesn't return control to the main app until it's finished importing the list; all it does is yield to the main GTK loop while events are pending so there is still some visual feedback. Doing so would be kind of tricky, and it raises some questions.

There are two issues here:
  • Should we import the blocklist import in the background? To do this is to defeat some of the purpose of the blocklist, as malicious connections may come in before they have been disallowed by the list.
  • How would you do this anyway? To do it properly would require an asynchronous framework such as Twisted, although you could monkey up something with the update callbacks during the file reading stage. Doing it with threads would be tricky.
I haven't got any clear answers to this one, suggestions are welcome.
shirish
Seeder
Seeder

Post by shirish »

I for one wouldn't like any kind of hidden stuff. There needs to be a proper way in which I know if I have the latest def. files or not. I also would like to know how much or how well the importing defs is going along. For comparision look at ktorrent, its blocklist stuff atleast in feisty was very very bad. The guys at ktorrent knew that. Even know I have had issues with it. It doesn't do a good job of importing & reporting how much progress ia made. Of course mine is an aging p4 1.8 ghz but still after an hr. it wouldn't import it. http://ktorrent.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9687#9687 as you guys can see.

The same thing in utorrent is pretty simple, there is a defined place, you just dump the file either through its interface or manually, close utorrent, restart & it starts reading the .dat file.
Debian Sid, Intel Dual-Core, 512 kbps DL , 64 Kbps UL, deluge-1.3.5, pieces plugin, GNOME 3.4.x

All posts under creative commons http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
scrapmetal
Leecher
Leecher

Post by scrapmetal »

question:
i cant get it to load my local blocklist file, so im wondering is it enough to copy my blocklist to blocklist.cache (if formatted properly) and it will block the content? i mean, is there a blocklist blocker that works independently of the blocklist LOADER ?
ill try to rephrase it. the loader takes a file on server or whatevr, downloads it, formats it and makes a blocklist.cache out of it yeah? what happens if i manuallt make a blocklist.cache and copies it to the proper dir, will the ips in that file be blocked even though the blocklist loader hasnt done anything, after all the file the loader would otherwise have generated is there ready to be used...
hmm i dont know if anyone understood that question.

in either case, can we have a gui that shows how many blocked hits etc?
ubuntu intrepid amd64
tarka

Post by tarka »

scrapmetal wrote:question:
i cant get it to load my local blocklist file, so im wondering is it enough to copy my blocklist to blocklist.cache (if formatted properly) and it will block the content? i mean, is there a blocklist blocker that works independently of the blocklist LOADER ?
ill try to rephrase it. the loader takes a file on server or whatevr, downloads it, formats it and makes a blocklist.cache out of it yeah? what happens if i manuallt make a blocklist.cache and copies it to the proper dir, will the ips in that file be blocked even though the blocklist loader hasnt done anything, after all the file the loader would otherwise have generated is there ready to be used...
hmm i dont know if anyone understood that question.
I think so. The sort answer is that blocklist URLs can also be local files, so just download the blocklist to the local harddrive and then point the importer at that.
in either case, can we have a gui that shows how many blocked hits etc?
That's mostly a case of getting that info out of libtorrent, and I haven't seen a way of doing that. But yes, it's something I'd like to add.