Taiwan country name on flag tooltip

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
iwaka

Taiwan country name on flag tooltip

Post by iwaka »

I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the correct board, my apologies if this thread belongs somewhere else.

As I'm sure you're all aware, when mousing over country flags in the "Peers" tab, a helpful tooltip pop us with the name of the country.
Unfortunately, Taiwan's name is written as "Taiwan, Province of China". I'm sure this is just a misunderstanding, but I would like to represent Taiwan and clarify this position.
Taiwan is a sovereign state that remains unrecognized by most countries due to pressure from the People's Republic of China (henceforth PRC). Nevertheless, Taiwan is not controlled by the PRC, nor has it even been controlled by the PRC. The PRC claims that Taiwan is part of its territory, while having no control over Taiwan whatsoever. Taiwan has its own government, constitution, army, flag, currency, international relations, etc. In short, Taiwan is a country.
I ask that the tooltip on Taiwan's flag be changed to "Taiwan". Seeing "Taiwan, Province of China" is like seeing "USA, colony of Great Britain". It's one-sided, historically inaccurate, and insulting.
Thank you.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Taiwan country name on flag tooltip

Post by Cas »

The origin of "Taiwan, Province of China" is from the ISO Taiwan entry which is following the UN naming convention. However I understand the issue and using simply Taiwan makes sense :)