Skip hash check

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
ricardus

Skip hash check

Post by ricardus »

I know this has been requested before, but it was declined and the last thread got totally off topic. So here I go...

I'd like a skip hash check option when adding a new torrent. I'd like to explain why I need it and why (I think) it's actually not a bad idea.

Skipping hash checks come handy in the following three scenarios:

1. I don't use Deluge to create really big torrents since the build-in torrent creater doesn't allow pieces of 16 MiB. So I can't auto-add those torrents.

2. Private trackers usually change the hash when uploading a torrent. So even if I created the torrent myself, I still have to check the hash after adding the torrent with the changed hash.

3. Cross-seeding (seeding the same torrent on several trackers using different metafiles) is quite common among private trackers. Without being able to skip the hash check, I have to do it for every tracker.

4. If a torrent gets removed accidentially or Deluge gets reinstalled, I have to hash check every single torrent.

I know that there a pretty strong argument against skipping hash checks. Obviously, Deluge can't know if the data is actually good. But:

1. In the 4 aforementioned scenarios, I know the data is good. Rechecking data that had already been checked before only makes sense if the computer crashed and the data could have been corrupted.

2. It doesn't prevent sending deliberately bad data since somebody just could change the data after the hash check has been performed.

3. It takes a huge amount of time to recheck big torrents (or big collections of small torrents, for that matter).

It would make me more than happy to see a skip hash check option in the next release. :D
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Skip hash check

Post by johnnyg »

ricardus wrote:1. I don't use Deluge to create really big torrents since the build-in torrent creater doesn't allow pieces of 16 MiB.
I know this isn't your main point but why didn't you create a ticket?
I've increased the max to 16 MiB now so it will be in the next release.

You should check out this ticket: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/1294
Basically libtorrent (which Deluge is built on) supports seed mode since 0.15 I believe.
I think the reason it hasn't been implemented in Deluge yet is that to do so requires changing the minimum required version of libtorrent from 0.14.9 to 0.15.