Feature Req: saving files to diff folder than torrent name

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
Legoguy
New User
New User

Feature Req: saving files to diff folder than torrent name

Post by Legoguy »

For those confused on what the topic means, I must blame the short topic limits. For a better understanding, read on.
I've always used µTorrent in Wine until recently when I found Deluge. One behavior I can't seem to appreciate is that Deluge insists on using the torrent's file name as the root folder of the files it contains, no matter where you say to save the files.
For example, with µTorrent, I open a torrent and set to save to M:\music\Artist\Album. That works great and puts the files in the Artist\Album folder as I want them. With Deluge, I seem to be unable to specify the exact folder they end up in; if I told it to save to /data/music/Artist/Album, well then it would save the files inside of /data/music/Artist/Album/Folder-That-Has-The-Same-Name-As-The-Torrent-File/. Hardly convenient.
This also makes it impossible for me to seed the stuff I've already downloaded with µTorrent, because whenever I tell a torrent to save to the directory where everything has already been downloaded by µTorrent, Deluge wants to look one folder deeper and won't find my data when I select "force check". Not exactly a good behavior.

I also would like the ability to manually type the folder name directly than be forced to use the GTK folder selection dialog. If this were possible I wouldn't need to create any new folders within the dialog manually, it would be done automatically (like mkdir -p).
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Feature Req: saving files to diff folder than torrent name

Post by johnnyg »

you can already do this.
for your example you would select /data/music/Artist/Album/ as the location to save the files to and then under files, rename the folder to "/" (you can rename files/folders by single clicking their name).
Legoguy
New User
New User

Post by Legoguy »

Sure about this? I tried and was unable to...I can't interact with any of the file list controls, neither checkboxes nor renaming works. You are talking about the Add Torrents dialog right?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

file renaming can currently only be done after adding a torrent in the files tab.
however, if you can't unselect files then it sounds like you have compact allocation set instead of full allocation.
Legoguy
New User
New User

Post by Legoguy »

So my best bet would be to add the torrents in a paused state, then change their root directories to /, and then start them? Well, I guess it would work, hopefully in the future file re-naming can be done before even adding the files to the list :)
The only problem with that method is that it still makes all the folders even if it's paused, so while the files eventually end up in the right place, there's still a folder with the torrent name there...

How hard would it be to make a plugin that adds the option to automatically blank the root of every added torrent?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

Legoguy wrote:So my best bet would be to add the torrents in a paused state, then change their root directories to /, and then start them? Well, I guess it would work, hopefully in the future file re-naming can be done before even adding the files to the list :)
The only problem with that method is that it still makes all the folders even if it's paused, so while the files eventually end up in the right place, there's still a folder with the torrent name there...

How hard would it be to make a plugin that adds the option to automatically blank the root of every added torrent?
yes unfortunately that's your best bet for the moment.
renaming in the add torrent dialog won't get done until after 1.2 is released.
it shouldn't be too hard to write a plugin or ui client script: http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Deve ... iClient1.2
Legoguy
New User
New User

Post by Legoguy »

I just upgraded to 1.1.3, and now all of the torrents I had loaded previously and changed root folder names of had their root folder reset to the torrent name, and I can't rename it back to / for a good portion of them! What happened!?