WebUI Interface Gadget

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
cykotek

WebUI Interface Gadget

Post by cykotek »

Just curious, has anybody made or in the process of making an interface gadget/widget, like the ones for Azureus and uTorrent?

http://widgets.yahoo.com/widgets/azureus

I don't know much about the webUIs of clients, would this be hard to alter to suit?

A bit of history... I recently had my main PC die a horrible mainboard death, and as it was fairly old, couldn't get a decent board. Instead of having to waste all the other components, I bought a cheap motherboard, set up the system as a headless box running win2K server, and uTorrent as a service with the webUI for remote access from my laptop. For some reason, the hard drive keeps getting corrupted, and I suspect uTorrent is responsible for this, so I'm going to be rebuilding the system again, this time using Gentoo and Deluge. Previously, I was using the uTorrent Vista gadget and Firefox add-on for ease of management, but these would no doubt not work properly with Deluge's webUI. So, I'm looking for equivalents for Deluge.

There are a fair few gadgets/widgets out there for Azureus, how hard would it be to recode these to use Deluge's webUI?
mvoncken
Developer
Developer

Re: WebUI Interface Gadget

Post by mvoncken »

gadgets are based on javascript ,and deluge has an xmlrpc and json api.
So it should be doable for someone comfortable with javascript and ajax.
dev: webui, core, labels | irc:vonck7 |
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

I would recommend you use deluge's GTK UI instead, it can do alot more than what a gadget could do.
If you however want to create a Vista Gadget for deluge, feel free :)
Mindzai

Post by Mindzai »

mvoncken wrote:gadgets are based on javascript ,and deluge has an xmlrpc and json api.
So it should be doable for someone comfortable with javascript and ajax.
Im comfortable with AJAX and Javascript - but I have no idea how to make a vista widget! I agree though that using the GTK ui seems like it serves the same purpose as this, and more.
jayson2009

Post by jayson2009 »

Using the GTK has a possible effects but its good to use in another gadget...

New User

Post by beto113 »

Hi there...

Ive tried Deluge and its fantastic specially running on my seedbox (ubuntu), much more reliable, stable, rather than Wine+utorrent, however im back to utorrent because of this missing usability interface imo. For me utorrent still killer just because of the fact that there are many widgets out there... for example...

Deluge should have a widget (google desktop) and/or a program like that http://uremote.blogspot.com/
this uRemote is great and really cleaver... it associate *windows users* all " .torrent" files with your remote utorrent setup which in my case is my seedbox, so when i download and open any file it uploads straight way to my seedbox and start downloading, handy ahm?
The uTorrent vista side bar gadget add the drag'n drop, amazing...
Google Desktop widget is fast, and nice way to control it, and the coding would work in any platform

All this is great but i think if anyone really knows how to make a gadget should be looking forward developing in Adobe AIR
because its multi platform, the installation is easy, it offers update as well, gives the possibility of Drag'n drop which google desktop doesnt, and also give the association that would be a great plus.

unfortunately im not developer otherwise i would do it myself, i can help with translations though :P

Would be great to have someone that is able to develop this kind of widget for Deluge (Adobe AIR specially), certainly i would leave utorrent for this open source solution.

All the best Beto
damoxc
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by damoxc »

beto113 wrote: Deluge should have a widget (google desktop) and/or a program like that http://uremote.blogspot.com/
this uRemote is great and really cleaver... it associate *windows users* all " .torrent" files with your remote utorrent setup which in my case is my seedbox, so when i download and open any file it uploads straight way to my seedbox and start downloading, handy ahm?
Deluge doesn't have a need for a program like uRemote, it is its own remote. You'd just set the daemon on your seedbox to accept remote connections, have the client installed on your windows box and all torrent files associated with Deluge and then they'll get added straight onto your seedbox and start downloading.
beto113 wrote: All this is great but i think if anyone really knows how to make a gadget should be looking forward developing in Adobe AIR
because its multi platform, the installation is easy, it offers update as well, gives the possibility of Drag'n drop which google desktop doesnt, and also give the association that would be a great plus.

unfortunately im not developer otherwise i would do it myself, i can help with translations though :P

Would be great to have someone that is able to develop this kind of widget for Deluge (Adobe AIR specially), certainly i would leave utorrent for this open source solution.
You could try making a request in the Plugins forum?
abubin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by abubin »

beto113 wrote:Hi there...

Deluge should have a widget (google desktop) and/or a program like that http://uremote.blogspot.com/
The uTorrent vista side bar gadget add the drag'n drop, amazing...
Google Desktop widget is fast, and nice way to control it, and the coding would work in any platform
This could be done easily with a deluge setup with a folder that automatically start downloading torrent. You can have a shared folder from your seedbox where adding any torrent file will get auto downloaded by deluge. So, just save all your torrent here will do also.

It only involves a little changes and you get what you wanted. Though not EXACTLY the same but it's only some minor changes. People should learn to work with changes. As for widgets, I personally do not use it and I find it a bit waste of resources to have it hovering around in the OS. Maybe it's works better in Vista but for XP, it certainly is waste of resources. But that's just me. Perhaps because I am just a minimalist. I don't need to know the weather all the time. I can just look outside and I know what's the weather. I don't need to know every second the status of my HDD space. I can just open my computer and see the properties. I don't need a big beautiful clock hovering in my desktop, I can look at the BIG clock hanging on the wall. Lol...sorry for the useless rant.
Golork
New User
New User

Post by Golork »

Hi all, for a long time I use µtorrent for its lightest weight and easily interface.
But now µtorrent is very unstable under my Unbuntu 8.10 with Wine ( I think it's wine because when I try to configure Wine my computer reboot...)
So I try this torrent client call Deluge, because it's copy/paste of µtorrent interface (with some things diffrent as trackers list) !
But now I have a problem : I can't use the webui interface !! All time when I use the adress on my windows computer the browser (mozilla 3.x) ask me what to do with the file (it's a binary file) !
My configuration :
1 computer with linux for download with torrent client. ip adress : 192.168.1.10
1 computer with windows for normal use. ip adress : 192.168.1.20
When I have µtorrent, port/firewall/webui are perfectly configured and I can manage my torrent files on any computer who have Internet !

I've seen on this post that you speak on µRemote, that look like very nice to manage torrent but can't see my torrent once I try to configure.
Someone says that we just need Deluge to do the same thing.

So I ask you a favor : can you explain me how to configure Deluge on my Linux PC (I can download normally with a specific port open) and on my Windows PC with Deluge as client and maybe µRemote (because it's easily portable) ?

If you need more things/params ask me !